Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RXT-X 260 sitting for 3+ years?

I live on the east coast, so I put my 2012 RXT-X 260 into storage at the end of each summer, then stop at the dealer after picking it up each spring for a routine maintenance. The facility is climate controlled with an average of 65 degrees F temperature and 65% humidity. My ski is currently in storage, is NOT winterized, has about 1/8 of a tank of gas (with marine stabil added), and the battery is pulled and on a tender in my garage.

I was just offered a "3 year minimum" work assignment in Hawaii, which sounds like an awesome opportunity for me. If I accept, my ski is going to sit in storage for at least 3 years, possibly 4. I'm traveling frequently on business trips between now and the potential move, so the ski will be sitting exactly as it is now - I will not have the opportunity to check in on it to do anything else to it before I move.

Will I be fine with a routine maintenance from the Seadoo dealer after I eventually move back home and pull it from storage? Or is it bad that it will be sitting for so long without being run? Should I be concerned?

Any responses would be appreciated... thanks!

+1
    I'd sell it.

It's just going to continue depreciating while you're paying to store it. Save the storage fees and you'll have a nice down payment on a 300 when you get back.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    I'd sell it.

It's just going to continue depreciating while you're paying to store it. Save the storage fees and you'll have a nice down payment on a 300 when you get back.
    Exactly what i was thinking!

5. +1 by:

+1
    Sell it .

7. +1 by:

+1
    Depends on what the dealer is charging you to store it. If its going to cost a lot, sell it. If not that much, just have them spray some storage seal into the intake to lube it up, and drain that last bit of fuel.
    Problem is the fuel in the injectors, it may gum up and when you reservice it, they may need a cleaning.
    As long as the oil is fresh, and the battery removed. No issue storing a ski for 3 years.
    I had a neigbour had one, an RXP, sat for 7 years. I drained the fuel, cleaned it up, Changed the oil. It fired right up, he has been using it for 3 years trouble free.

Biggest thing is after its been sitting is to WOT crank it, to push oil to the bearings and SC, do that for 20 sec in 2 10 sec bursts before you ever start it, that geys dry parts lubed. I do that every time I recommision a stored ski.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I think with a quick math solving problem you can answer your question. Storage fee’s, depreciation value also for the 3 years. Heck save that same amount each month and after three years buy the latest and greatest seadoo and have no worries about it for three’s.

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Depends on what the dealer is charging you to store it. If its going to cost a lot, sell it. If not that much, just have them spray some storage seal into the intake to lube it up, and drain that last bit of fuel.
    Problem is the fuel in the injectors, it may gum up and when you reservice it, they may need a cleaning.
    As long as the oil is fresh, and the battery removed. No issue storing a ski for 3 years.
    I had a neigbour had one, an RXP, sat for 7 years. I drained the fuel, cleaned it up, Changed the oil. It fired right up, he has been using it for 3 years trouble free.

Biggest thing is after its been sitting is to WOT crank it, to push oil to the bearings and SC, do that for 20 sec in 2 10 sec bursts before you ever start it, that geys dry parts lubed. I do that every time I recommision a stored ski.
    Thanks for the responses so far guys!

This post makes me feel a bit better. The ski is already in storage though, so I can't have anything done to it (it's 2 hours from me, and another 2 hours from a dealer). The oil was changed in June or so, and I only used it 3 or 4 times after that.

I will definitely try to WOT crank process you mentioned before starting it. Thanks for the tip!!

The storage is only 35 per month to keep it in the climate controlled storage area. So I'd lose 1200 or so, plus depreciation. But my company gave me a very generous offer for moving, so the money isn't a huge concern. To be honest, I'm at a point in my life where I likely wouldn't buy a new ski if I sold this one due to changing priorities (marriage, don't use it as much anymore, etc)... But I'd still like to hang on to mine to use it at least a few times each summer. I have it set up exactly how I want it with options and add ons, and of course we've had some great memories together so I'd prefer to keep her

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    Sell it .
    And move on.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sell it. Things and people change in three years.

Have you thought about sending it to hawaii?

renting likely cheaper.

RXT-X 260 sitting for 3+ years?

I restored a ski that sat broken down for 10 plus years with a blown Ecu. Changed ecu fuel oil filter (and a lot of parts that were scavenged off of it) and it fired right up. Used it all this season no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information