Thread: Salvage Spark?

Salvage Spark?

Maybe a strange question but I figured this would be the place to ask it.

I've speced out the components for what I think it will take to make fully electric PWC conversion. Probably a bad idea but I think it will be fun - the tech has come a long way in a few years, only big issue besides potentially frying myself will be a shorter ride time compared to gasoline.

I think my best bet for a test bed will be a Sea Doo Spark 2 Up (lightweight, easy hull access, pump already sized for relatively low HP). If anyone has better ideas I'm all ears.

Where do you think would be the best place to find one with a good hull and all other subsystems BUT a trashed motor? I've been looking on eBay and Craigslist without much luck.

+1
    I wanted to do something similar, but using a motor from one of those battery-powered kiddy cars. Not looking for speed or range, but something for the little kids to play on in our swimming pool (trying to get them started early!). However, my wife would have nothing to do with it. I looked into the boating laws in our state and it would not be legal for young kids to use such a boat in a public waterway.

+1
    Dude in France did it already batteries are heavy so spark might not be ideal....plenty of other skis for sale with blown motors why choose a really reliable one where the bulls are in higher demand? Seadoo xp similar size but motors eat them selves for fun...

pS french dude used a yam fx hull I think 🤔

http://cleanrider.com/e-motion-motor...ski-the-emr-1/

Thanks for the heads up on that conversion HDAV, I had seen a bunch online but not that one. I think the company shut down. It's too bad, would like to have seen more about how they went about it.

Love the XP suggestion. Forgot to mention that I am looking for a closed loop cooling setup in the ski (the modern electric motors and controllers can be way higher power with water cooling so I could just use the existing heat exchangers). Did the later XP's have a closed loop cooling setup?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mechwarrior View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on that conversion HDAV, I had seen a bunch online but not that one. I think the company shut down. It's too bad, would like to have seen more about how they went about it.

Love the XP suggestion. Forgot to mention that I am looking for a closed loop cooling setup in the ski (the modern electric motors and controllers can be way higher power with water cooling so I could just use the existing heat exchangers). Did the later XP's have a closed loop cooling setup?

Only 4tec (and ACE) are closed loop? Early rxp would make a decent donor hull if you need the cooling ability, do you really need closed loop or would an internal water to water heat exchanger in hull not work? Don’t forget your sat in millions of gallons of low temp ambient water something a car doesn’t have access to, cooling lines are already on the pump just pass it over the coolant used for cells and motor.

+1
    Taiga Motors brought there prototype electric Spark to the IJSBA nationals for demos it was very impressive.

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

https://www.facebook.com/taigamotors/

https://www.facebook.com/ECWatercros...7443129742845/

Wow I hadn't seen that Taiga Spark! Looks just like what I want build. Theirs is probably even nicer than what I could build but it's the same idea.

Now I really want to get a salvage ski to tear up!

+1
    Copart

Good advice on Copart, I'll sign up and make a saved search

Thread Information