Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

98 STX900 No crank - good relay

Im pretty positive i have a bad starter, but I wanted to run it by you guys before I pull the engine parts off.

• The starter solenoid is connected correctly, but it was backwards before (previous owner)
    • Hitting the start button makes the relay click and I get power on the starter Pole/wire
    • This only happens if I ground the E box. Is the ebox not grounded just sitting on its plate? (not bolted down?)
    • The wiring diagram I have for "high performance 900" shows another ignition switch "somewhere" but I cant find a mention of it in the owners manual, or on the ski.
    • does anything happen when you pull out the stop switch? does it "come alive?" I have no guages, and no trim. Do they not work until the engine is on? Am i just not turning something on?
    Any tips on getting the starter out? Even jumping the poles doesnt even make it click down there. The previous owner said he started it a couple weeks ago, so I doubt its seized up, but the starter doesnt make a single sound when you put power on it.

+1
    The electrical box should be grounded. Do you have a small black wire coming from the battery terminal?

Second ignition switch or do you mean Start switch? The kill switch also disables the start circuit. Does your 'Ski have an orange master switch? I don't see it on the parts diagram, but most other models have it.

The trim doesn't work until the engine is started, I don't think the gauges do, either, but it's been a long time and I haven't had your particular model.

You can get the starter out with a small pry bar: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pr...e-91/202585548 I find it easier to work from the right side of the 'Ski and reach around the front of the engine. I didn't say it was easy, just easier. It's still a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The electrical box should be grounded. Do you have a small black wire coming from the battery terminal?

Second ignition switch or do you mean Start switch? The kill switch also disables the start circuit. Does your 'Ski have an orange master switch? I don't see it on the parts diagram, but most other models have it.

The trim doesn't work until the engine is started, I don't think the gauges do, either, but it's been a long time and I haven't had your particular model.

You can get the starter out with a small pry bar: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pr...e-91/202585548 I find it easier to work from the right side of the 'Ski and reach around the front of the engine. I didn't say it was easy, just easier. It's still a pain in the ass.
    Thank for the reply. I did not see a small wire coming from the battery, but I will look again. this ski doesnt have the orange key. I think this wiring diagram, which is for a "high performance" 900, is generic between the two 900 models. Everything else but that looks right.

I went ahead and got the engine ready to pull. The oil tank has leaked and the bottom of the hull has alot of oil in it. I wanted to get the motor out to clean that all up, and to take care of any other issues while I was in there. maybe go ahead and replace the pump bearings and whatever else I can do. It should make removing the oil tank, and installing the block off easier. Im also going to put a new stator in it while I have it apart. The ground wire coming from the stator is the one that melted, and while the stator test good, I am not sure what caused the wire to melt.

Thanks for the info about the trim, Ill get it back together, and fingers crossed the trim works. I sure do wish my hull was in better condition after all this work.

+1
    Personally, I'd leave the oil injection system intact and upgrade the hoses. Also replace the oil pump drive coupling bearings, but that's just me.

While you've got the engine out, replace the driveshaft 'holder' (bearing & seal assembly). And, of course, replace the starter.

The melted wire probably got too close to the exhaust pipe.

Im not sure if thats what caused it. it was melted inside the ebox. I already got the block off kit, so Ill just premix. thanks for the info on the bearings. Ill get those ordered. Im gonna have to go get a engine hoist this weekend to lift this thing out. a bit to heavy for me by myself.

Can I lift this thing by the bolt holes in the cylinder head?

+1
    I use the lifting loop over the drive coupling and bolt the other end of the chain to the top hole of the throttle cable bracket mount on the side of the cyl.

+1
    I just drill some holes in a couple of pieces of angle iron and put the spark plugs through them. Plenty strong.

Both sound like they will work. Thanks for the info.

What do you guys think about milling the head while I have it out? I can mill .005 or .010 or whatever and bump the compression while its out.

JC

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsports-X View Post
    What do you guys think about milling the head while I have it out? I can mill .005 or .010 or whatever and bump the compression while its out.

JC
    I wouldn't. If anything, try an aftermarket impeller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information