+1

2001 Genesis FFI engine

This past summer I picked up a parts boat (1997 SLTX 1050)... the hull was badly damaged, but the engine was recently rebuilt (less then 10 hours on it)... so I pulled the engine and dropped it into my ‘97 SLTX. Then stripped the hull of all its parts and donated the empty hull to a fiberglass guy that rebuilds hulls.

This parts boat came on a tandem trailer (which I was also looking for), so this deal was like a double bonus. The 2nd ski on the tandem trailer was a non-running, seized up 2001 Genesis FFI. Essentially it was a freebee throw in on the deal (is that a triple bonus?).

Anyways this is now my project boat, dropped it off at my mechanic and he was able to free up the seized engine and actually got it to start, running very badly on 2 cylinders. Further investigation showed signs of water damage, it had probably been sunk at some point, having rust and sludge in places it shouldn’t be.

The original plan was to figure out what the engine needs and fix it up and then we could sell it and make some of the money back from the parts boat / tandem trailer costs. But it seems like the engine needs quite a few parts, so to make things simple... we are looking to replace the whole engine with a good running engine + stator.

We are keeping an eye out for one, so if anyone has a spare engine 1200cc FFI, including stator... located in Ontario please shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Tip: The Ficht/FFI red 1200 engine is mechanically the same as the carburetor 1200 engine, with some minor differences.

The carb engine has two pulse ports on crankcase to power the carb fuel pumps. On Ficht engine these ports are simply capped off, or absent from the factory.

Cylinders are the same but FICHT cylinder heads are different from carb heads. The heads can be swapped over.

Flywheel and stator are different between Ficht and carb engines. Ficht stator and flywheel parts will bolt to carb engine, and crank shaft is the same.

Ficht engine flywheel housing has a water jacket front cover. This front housing also fits the carb engines, and sometimes a carb guy will add the water jacket to his carb engine to reduce temperatures around the front of the engine.
    Rear flywheel housing is the same as carb engine.

If you find a good condition carb engine, it can become a Ficht/FFI engine by swapping over the few Ficht specific parts.

Tip: It is common for the EMM, if original, to eventually need repair. Symptoms vary, but we now have an excellent EMM repair service located in upstate NY.

Inspect the Throttle Position Sensor on the rear end of the throttle body assembly. If it is original it may need replacement or refurb. Symptoms vary, but a Ficht engine simply will not run well if the TPS is going bad.

The 1999 Genesis FFI is a special case, even among Ficht models. 1999 was the only year with under water exhaust, and the fuel injectors and EMM are unique to the 1999 year.

Inspect the battery hold down and the EMM mount. If the EMM is wobbling on top of the battery mount (EMM location varies by model year), find a way to reinforce the EMM bracket or perhaps relocate the heavy EMM so it does not rip out the threaded hull inserts.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Hey Keith, thanks so much for your response... that is very interesting information! As I just happen to have a 1200 carbed engine with a damaged crank. But as far as I know the upper portion of the engine is still good. Fantastic.

Looks like I will still need to find a stator, but that should cut down the cost a lot!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ficht stator is the same part number, all years, all engine sizes.

If flywheel needs replacing, 12 magnet flywheel from MSX 140 is preferred over the six magnet Ficht flywheel used on all other models.

Some six magnet flywheels suffered magnet separation (glue failure) although by now (14+ years since last manufacture) I would guess many of the 'bad' six magnet Ficht flywheels may already have failed?

I might have a Ficht stator available. Might be at my US parts depot though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by henryb View Post
    Hey Keith, thanks so much for your response... that is very interesting information! As I just happen to have a 1200 carbed engine with a damaged crank. But as far as I know the upper portion of the engine is still good. Fantastic.

Looks like I will still need to find a stator, but that should cut down the cost a lot!
    If I understand what you are saying it sounds like you plan to use the crank from the flooded ski. If that's the case and the engine was indeed flooded there is almost certainly rust on the crank bearings. It would suck to do all that work and then have the crank fail.

+1
    You have a very good point... most certainly if there is any sign of rust in the crank then we will need to replace it...

Thread Information