Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

STX 15F fuel consumption

I'm looking for a new watercraft in the spring and the STX 15F is one of the models I'll be checking out. What's the maximum fuel range and what is the most economical speed? If I fill up and just want to play around with a mix of high speed, wave jumping, cruising around how many hours can I expect?

+1
    I ride a 15F in the Gulf of Mexico and I plan for a 90 mile range on a tank. There are a lot of variables but the fuel consumption is very reasonable. I track my fuel use by gallons/hour since it is hard to measure distance on the water. Here is a list of skis I have owned and the respective fuel use:

'12 STX 15F - 4.0 gph
    '09 Yamaha FZS - 5.9 gph
    '14 Sea-Doo RXT-260 - 6.0 gph
    '96 Sea-Doo GSX - 5.9 gph

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by truck240 View Post
    the STX 15F is one of the models. What's the maximum fuel range?
    ---------------------------------
    The Kawasaki STX-15F has a 16.5 Gallon Fuel Tank

The STX-15F "Multi-Function Display" records Distance, as well as Trip Time Traveled and based on this information - I can share the following approximations - with you based on my 1st hand "Recreational Riding" Events out in the Gulf of Mexico on this machine:

Trip Distance Traveled = Average was around 50 – 60 Miles for each outing
    Trip Distance Time = Generally 2 hours run time or more
    Fuel Used = Anywhere from 7.0 – 12.0 Gallons
    Average Speed = Approximately 25.0 Miles/Hour (MPH) which includes WFO and no-wake zones
    Fuel Calculation = Ranges from Approximately 5.50 – 6.50 Miles/Gallon (MPG)

The Kawasaki Ultra-300/310 has a 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank

The Ultra-300x "Multi-Function Display" records Distance, as well as Trip Time Traveled and based on this information - I can share the following approximations - with you based on my 1st hand "Recreational Riding" Events out in the Gulf of Mexico on this machine:

Trip Distance Traveled = Average was around 50 – 60 Miles for each outing
    Trip Distance Time = Generally 2 hours run time or more
    Fuel Used = Anywhere from 9.0 – 14.0 Gallons
    Average Speed = Approximately 28.0 Miles/Hour (MPH) which includes WFO and no-wake zones
    Fuel Calculation = Ranges from Approximately 4.25 – 4.75 Miles/Gallon (MPG)

Hope this helps !!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by truck240 View Post
    I'm looking for a new watercraft ... What's the maximum fuel range ... how many hours can I expect?
    Keep in mind the general rule for marine fuel range.

1/3 of the tank to go out
    1/3 of the tank for return

1/3 of the tank for unexpected situations or emergencies

Many riders might use as much as 3/4 of the total fuel capacity by the time they are back at the dock.

A change in wind and/or weather conditions while on the water can greatly increase the fuel burn trying to get back to the dock.

An error in navigation can take you the wrong way, possibly requiring even more fuel to eventually correct course and get to shore.

If you are travelling in a group and one of the watercraft requires towing, not only the ‘tow boat’ will consume more fuel. If you accompany the tow boat back (ride nearby/parallel, at similar speed), the slower travel speed can burn more fuel than originally planned.

Bottom line, do not plan a trip using more than two thirds of total available fuel capacity. The last 1/3 should be kept in reserve, to be used only in unusual situations or when you can be near certain of weather, water conditions, circumstances and fuel burn.

5. +1 by:

thanks s o much for the information , very thorough, .. im torn between many brands but possibly now a stx 15f , over the vx's or fx ho's coz of price , the fx ho's , . the stx 15f 's arfe better priced ! seem good too , but seem like they have smaller deck space , i wanna do camping with my partner and dog in open seas, to 30 kilometre away islands..........., but dont wanna spend a fortune on fuel , yet want speed and stability in open seas.... ps it seems for example a 310 lx vs stx 15f are quite similar in fuel usage ................andd perhaps not as bigger difference in fuel use as its made out to be !! please help , im new first ski too

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by knicko View Post
    thanks s o much for the information , very thorough, .. im torn between many brands but possibly now a stx 15f , over the vx's or fx ho's coz of price , the fx ho's , . the stx 15f 's arfe better priced ! seem good too , but seem like they have smaller deck space , i wanna do camping with my partner and dog in open seas, to 30 kilometre away islands..........., but dont wanna spend a fortune on fuel , yet want speed and stability in open seas.... ps it seems for example a 310 lx vs stx 15f are quite similar in fuel usage ................and perhaps not as bigger difference in fuel use as its made out to be !! please help , im new first ski too
    If you want to carry a lot of stuff and travel in open waters the Kawasaki Ultra LX (not supercharged) is going to be a primary choice.

Note: The Ultra LX has the non-supercharged engine, the Ultra 310 is supercharged and WILL use more fuel. The 310 also requires higher octane gasoline, IIRC.

Both Ultra LX and Ultra 310 have huge internal storage capacity, well regarded hull for rough water, large fuel tank capacity and reasonable fuel consumption.

Tip: You want to put as much of your gear as possible inside the hull. The less equipment you need to strap onto the deck the better. Especially in rough waters.

The Ultra LX will not be quite as fast as the others. But it seems a good match for your other requirements. There is no big, fast PWC that is also very good in rough water and can carry a lot of stuff inside, and has low fuel consumption.

Note: The new 2019 Yamaha FX HO (non-supercharged) might also come close in most regards and would be something to consider.

The Kawasaki STX hull is good but more flat bottomed, so it will be less comfortable on rough water, especially over long distances.

+1
    I bought a pair of Kawasaki Ultra LXs a year ago. One thing I had planned to do with them is take them on long cruises along the intercoastal waterway. Unfortunately we were not able to do that this year because a hurricane had stirred up sea grass in the area that we were planning to go, and we had a lot of trouble with clogged jet pumps and overheating. I took them to our lake a few times, but we really didn't get to run them enough to get a good fuel consumption number.

I think the Kawasaki odometer is reasonably accurate, unless it gets tangled with debris. Based on the odometer reading, I got about 80 miles before the low fuel warning came on. When this happens, you still have about 5 gallons useable left.

I've got R&D fuel pickup extenders that I have yet to install on these boats. They change the position of the fuel pickup inside the tank and are supposed to extend your range by a couple of gallons. Don't know if that is true or not. Unfortunately, R&D closed their doors recently.

Wish I could be more helpful, considering that I've got two of these 'Skis. I really like them so far, they're just slow (40-45 MPH). LOTS of storage space, easy engine access, stable ride. I primarily bought them for friends & family to ride while I ride my 310.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    ... pair of Kawasaki Ultra LXs ...

I think the Kawasaki odometer is reasonably accurate, unless it gets tangled with debris. ...
    CanDooPRO makes a GPS accurate module that shows GPS correct speeds on the factory dash.

I have them on my own (non-Kawasaki) watercraft and they work well, easy to install. One time calibration takes maybe a minute, then it just works.

https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...oducts_id=3054

With the dash showing accurate speeds, the odometer will also be more accurate.

And the factory paddlewheel sensor becomes unimportant.

+1
    Thanks, K447! I have seen those before but forgot about them. Don't really need something like that for my LXs, though. It might be nice on my 310, but the ad says it won't work on 300/310.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    ... It might be nice on my 310, but the ad says it won't work on 300/310.
    There is a different module for the 310, I think.

https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...bmvjrmodr01p86

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...bmvjrmodr01p86

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information