Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello fellas! Ultra 150 question

First off Im new here but not to wrenching. I have been wrenching since 1992 and started my first mechanics job in 1993 as a Mechanic at a Honda motorcycle shop. We also sold Polaris so my first experience on PWCs was when Polaris first introduced them and we started selling them. I also had a very old Kawi 440 and back then a newer 550. Loved all of them. I just recently got back into PWCs as I moved very close to a lake and wanted to introduce my two young boys to water-sports. I "stole" two project Ultras, both with bad engines and went back to wrenching on them. One is a very very clean 2004 with 61 hours. The other is a 2005 with unknown hours as the display is GONE!!! It was totally waterlogged. I have read ALL of the forums and done all the research on known problems with these and plan to totally get both of them up to speed an all required maintenance.

#2 piston skirt missing a 1"x2" chunk in the exact shape of 1/2 the exhaust port. It had water in the crankcase also so my best guess is that it was started on the water hose thePO turned off the ski first and flooded it with water then froze and water expanded and cracked the skirt. There was zero scoring on the piston or cylinder so I don't believe it was ran hot/lean.
    Thoughts??
    I have cleaned/checked EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING and all was within factory specs according to the FSM
    Going to test ride today!!
    Post ride report Still not perfect. I think it sounds like the same issue the other guy had with the slide not sealing properly. I’m going to pull them back off and check them again. I did see before I put the FA back on the #1 carb slide was not moving up like the others. I attributed this to not having the FA installed.
    All 3 compressions before and after test ride were 120-120-120.

#1 and #2 cylinders low comp. 30 and 0 respectively. PO thinks it leans out but he also mentioned that one of his other skis was ran without the aux cooling plug on and it "got hot" I think he was mistaken and it was in fact this ski as it looks like it got hot and had water in the crankcase also.
    Thoughts?

Real reason for this post though is to see of you guys have seen an oil pump and lines with in-line check valves.
    My 2004 did not have these but the 2005 does????? Im stumped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	441241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	+ag0UK2PQCm9JT+rerxO9A.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	441242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56183143029__FF0E4975-7DD6-4AF5-900D-EF5736AD3474.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	441243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d%EYByuGQZGwsKSic0Kvww.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	441262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vkLQiYdWRBqm9Jm5sajflA.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	441263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k94dmVMBTsuJluvPqhIlxg.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	441264  

Last edited by kram1976; 10-26-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Those check valves were added, these 1200 have check valves in front and rear of case balancers to feed those two cylinders. You'll find if these skis sit for alittle while those balancers check valves with weep into cylinders.

Water in cylinder with cracked piston. Pictures of piston? Possibly ski was flipped?

I added piston pics. Check them out. It is really strange to me. I still don't see why they were added. The PO was not the kind of owner to do these kind of mods. I am not sure if he bought the 05 new but he did buy 2 other 150s new for his sons a 99 and a 2000.

+1
    Welcome aboard, kram1976!

I hope you didn't just 'steal' them, I hope you got them for free! Water in both crankcases for any significant amount of time, as well as a bad display, it will cost you as much to fix them as they're worth.

Do these have plated (OEM) cylinders or sleeves? Make sure the bearings on the crank are shiny. Dull bearings will only last a few hours before they fail.

Replacement displays are running about $300 on Ebay, make sure all the segments are working before you buy it.

Make sure all the oil lines are going to the correct places, it makes a difference!

Big end on both were very shiny no dullness in the rollers which is a testament to the durability of the ultra crank. Display on the 04 is perfect. My goal was to build and have one good ski from two and that goal has been reached now the 04 just needs all the bugs worked out of it. I didn’t need the 05 parts ski at all as I just bought one OEM piston for the 04 and cleaned the carbs. Im really enjoying wrenching on these Ultras so I want to save the 05 also. Paid $640 for the 04 with a single trailer and $500 for the 05 no trailer. All original plated cylinders of both. All oil lines were replaced and located according to the Factory service manual on the 04.
    Last edited by kram1976; 10-28-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Steve,
    Where about in TX are you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kram1976 View Post
    Steve,
    Where about in TX are you?
    Midland

Bummer. I was hoping you were in the metroplex. I was thinking we could meet up and ride sometime.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Midland
    Steve, I just read this. I was in Midland yesterday. I'm guessing your line of work has something to do with liquefied, dead dinosaurs!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    Steve, I just read this. I was in Midland yesterday. I'm guessing your line of work has something to do with liquefied, dead dinosaurs!
    Yes, we also deal with dinosaur farts!

Please excuse our once fair city. The oil boom has destroyed our roads, brought us horrible drivers, and trash everywhere. It didn't used to be like this. Most of the old-timers have come to hate Midland. It's sad. We have been inundated with tens of thousands of new people and we're bursting at the seams.

What brought you to Midland?

Wish I had known you were in town, I was helping another guy with his Ultra 150, we could have had a party!
    Last edited by steve45; 11-20-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information