Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toledoupsguy View Post
    all 4 of the big rubber blocks are too small (actually too short) by 3/16" They fit the cavities perfectly when pushed all the way in but are loose if I want to position them all the way to the rear, hence the question about taking up that extra space with sealant. I think one of the pics I posted on the initial post shows all the blocks sitting pushed in without any notches cut and they are all too short.

I do not see any problem with putting a modest amount of 3M 4200 Fast Cure down inside the cavity before inserting the rubber filler blocks.

Don't put too much or it will hydraulically push back on the rubber.

It might also take quite a long time to 'air cure' since it is trapped inside the cavity. Even the Fast Cure stuff is slow when enclosed.

Alternative is to apply a layer of sealant to the exposed flat back ends of the short blocks, level with the grate edges (with intake grate hollows pointing down). Let that set up. Then add a fresh bead along the rear curved area just before installing the grate.

I also applied a sealant bead where the grate rubber blocks meet the transom plate lower area. So the grate is sealed around the water flow curve on top and down just above where the ride plate and rubber 'finger' seal will sit.

I removed my jet pump and ride plate to install the intake grate. That allowed me to see how well it aligned with the transom plate curve and the sides of the pump tunnel.

After bolting up the intake grate and verifying it was nicely in alignment, I wiped up the squeeze out sealant where the grate meets the transom plate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

No problem working on the intake grate with the ride plate in place.
    But can you get it back on with the ride plate in place when you are trying to fit the fingers of the stock sealing strip into the notches on the plugs?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toledoupsguy View Post
    But can you get it back on with the ride plate in place when you are trying to fit the fingers of the stock sealing strip into the notches on the plugs?
    Easy enough when there are no sealing blocks.

Can be kinda fiddly to get all the rubber fingers to engage when the rubber cavity blocks are in place. Still doable, I would expect.

If you apply sealant around the curved edge, you still need to somehow reach in there after the grate is bolted up and smooth it out and remove any excess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information