2007 Yamaha GP1300R Won't Start

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread, but can really use some help.

Background on my ski: 117 hour on original engine. D plate is installed, but I still use the specified yamaluibe.

So my jet ski won't start. When I click start, dash lights up, the bilge pump starts running, and I hear a ticking noise, which from what I've read on here is the relay. The thing is... every 5-10 trys or so, the ski starts up and runs fine. It does seem to be smoking a little more than usual when it does start up though. I'm not sure if that is a sign of something. I didn't have any problems with it when I last took it out of the water which was a few weeks ago. Everything ran fine. No smoke. The battery is fully charged and only a year

From what I've been reading on here, it seems as it's either the starter or the relay, but was curious to see if anyone else has had this problem. I find it odd that everything was working fine when I took it out the water and now it's only starting every few tries.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Hoping there is an easy fix. Thank you in advance =)

Quote Originally Posted by padymgee View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread, but can really use some help.

Background on my ski: 117 hour on original engine. D plate is installed, but I still use the specified yamaluibe.

So my jet ski won't start. When I click start, dash lights up, the bilge pump starts running, and I hear a ticking noise, which from what I've read on here is the relay. The thing is... every 5-10 trys or so, the ski starts up and runs fine. It does seem to be smoking a little more than usual when it does start up though. I'm not sure if that is a sign of something. I didn't have any problems with it when I last took it out of the water which was a few weeks ago. Everything ran fine. No smoke. The battery is fully charged and only a year

From what I've been reading on here, it seems as it's either the starter or the relay, but was curious to see if anyone else has had this problem. I find it odd that everything was working fine when I took it out the water and now it's only starting every few tries.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Hoping there is an easy fix. Thank you in advance =)
    Relay have in and out, pusch Button start and ceck with ( tester or Lamp test) if you have 12 v on Cable engine start you have is engine start, if dont have is Relay.

Quote Originally Posted by samui View Post
    Relay have in and out, pusch Button start and ceck with ( tester or Lamp test) if you have 12 v on Cable engine start you have is engine start, if dont have is Relay.
    Good idea. Thanks for the input. I'm going to try that this weekend.

So I just tried testing the voltage at the starter when I click start and I'm getting 0 volts. So I opened the electrical box and checked the voltage across the relay and I'm getting 12V. Everything is on secure and it's all clean.

When I click start, I get a clicking noise which appears to be coming from the relay.... The engine still turns over every 10 tries or so...

Any one know what this means? Do I have a bad relay?

Just realize the 12v I was reading was from the battery lead. Still not getting any voltage to that green arrow in attaché picture. I assume I got a bad relay?

Sorry... didn't post picture right before... This is what I'm looking at...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Electricalbox.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	441300  

+1
    Check for 12v on the small red wire when you push the start button....also check the voltage drop. If you have a bad battery, the voltage falls to the point it cannot hold the relay in. If you have voltage and it doesn't drop, check the ground on the relay. If a good ground, relay is bad. If you have no voltage, put 12v on it to verify relay pulls in, and check start switch, and grounds.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.. Turns out it was just the starter relay... easy fix. Starts right up every time after replacing it.

Thread Information