+1

Kawasaki 650sx questions

Hello all!

So I've been playing with the idea of giving stand ups a try. Currently ride a 17 Sea Doo GTRX and want a fun "toy" when I'm not going fast. Now, I'm completely new to stand ups and even newer to 2strokes.

Off a local CL post I made about wanting a project came a reply from a gentleman who is the original owner of a 89 650sx. Bone stock. Says if he rode it 20 or 30 hours since new he would be shocked! But it's been sitting idle for over 15 years. Judging by the pictures it's in amazing shape for its age but as the saying goes, you can't judge a book by its cover. What are some pros and cons to this model? Things i should check and look at when I go see it? Things I should expect to do before taking it out in the spring? It's getting cold here in Jersey so I'll be working on this over the winter and giving it a go in april/may 2019. Any tips would be appreciated. Feel free to get as detailed as possible.

+1
    I have not ridden one of those, however I can tell you that a primary concern would be deposits and crud in the fuel system. I would also highly suggest that you replace all the fuel and cooling hoses. Otherwise, I would bet it's probably a good buy if you get it cheap enough. How much is he asking?

+1
    Asking is 650 but he seems flexible given our phone conversation. He did say the fuel sitting in it was really old. Also said he used kawi oil as it was suggested when he purchased it. He felt it made the ski run rich? Is there a better 2stroke oil out today? I know thing have come a long way since 89 lol. My thinking going into this is the cheaper the better since I've never rode stand up. This way I wont be under water if I dont it. Which, from what I hear, is unlikely. Local guys are saying it's the most fun they have on the water

+1
    I thoroughly enjoy riding my 650sx. It's also very good exercize for the whole body! That's a very simple machine and they are also just about bulletproof. You'll likely need a carb rebuild kit, some fuel line, clean out fuel tank, new plugs and fresh gas. I would just remove the oiling system and premix at 40:1. It's not a variable rate pump anyway. If you want to keep it then I would also flush out the oil tank, and replace the lines then premix your first tank to make sure it's working properly.

+1
    Do you guys have a particular site you use to order OEM parts like the fuel lines and ect?

I would recommend purchasing fuel lines in bulk. I have also had great success with shspowersports.com

+1
    No need for oem stuff. Just 1/4" fuel line from the auto parts store. Either rubber or Tygon. Same for the oil line. The cooling lines are 3/8" I like the clear braided vinyl from Lowes or Home Depot. Some guys use air hose. You can use rubber fuel line.

For cooling line stay away from the clear stuff, on my stxr I had multiple times where end of cooling like to manifold melts and slides off filling hull with water and over heating engine. I found just regular auto water hose works pretty well.

+1
    You can buy 50' rolls of real USCG/EPA approved fuel hose from (believe it or not) WalMart.

Thread Information