Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water leak

+1

Water leak

Riddle me this........if all my hoses up front are secured and tight, where would water be coming from towards the front of the motor? I rode tonight with the seat off, and at WOT, there is water spraying from somewhere. It's making it all the way to the front compartment. I could never see where it was coming from.

+1
    It's coming form the transom id bet. mine is coming in from the lower left line area I double clamped it thinking it was the line leaking but its coming in from around the fitting. most likely you'll need to remove the pump and transom and reseal with 4200.

+1
    How would water coming in from the back make it all the way to the front at wide open throttle????

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
    Riddle me this........if all my hoses up front are secured and tight, where would water be coming from towards the front of the motor? I rode tonight with the seat off, and at WOT, there is water spraying from somewhere. It's making it all the way to the front compartment. I could never see where it was coming from.
    There are multiple pressurized cooling water hoses connected to and around the engine.

For a test, securely strap the ski to the trailer, front and rear. Back it down the launch ramp with the seat removed, so the jet pump is fully submerged. Make sure no ramp debris is under or near the jet pump inlet.

Now you can run the engine while you investigate the water problem. You can apply throttle as needed to increase cooling system water pressure. Remember to set the parking brake in the tow vehicle as the jet thrust against the trailer can be strong.

A strong compact flashlight might help you see where the leak/spray is coming from.

I would suggest removing the plastic engine cover before the test. Easier to see down around the engine with the cover off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There are multiple pressurized cooling water hoses connected to and around the engine.

For a test, securely strap the ski to the trailer, front and rear. Back it down the launch ramp with the seat removed, so the jet pump is fully submerged. Make sure no ramp debris is under or near the jet pump inlet.

Now you can run the engine while you investigate the water problem. You can apply throttle as needed to increase cooling system water pressure. Remember to set the parking brake in the tow vehicle as the jet thrust against the trailer can be strong.

A strong compact flashlight might help you see where the leak/spray is coming from.

I would suggest removing the plastic engine cover before the test. Easier to see down around the engine with the cover off.
    This was actually my next move.....thanks.

+1
    Could it be the oil cooler on the left towards the front??? Finding water leaks are a pita when everything is so compact in the hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post
    Could it be the oil cooler on the left towards the front??? Finding water leaks are a pita when everything is so compact in the hull.
    That hose appears to be on nice and tight, but will definitely check it when I run the ski on the trailer.

+1
    put in on the trailer, drain plugs in, fill the engine bay with a few inches of water, enough to cover the water feed hose that pokes through from the transom and see if water leaks out of the bottom of the ski around the ride plate and the intake grate. If water leaks then your transom is probably leaking from bad sealant. This is not an absolute test for a transom leak because sometimes it requires water pressure from being up to speed forces water into the engine bay.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bizeagle View Post
    put in on the trailer, drain plugs in, fill the engine bay with a few inches of water, enough to cover the water feed hose that pokes through from the transom and see if water leaks out of the bottom of the ski around the ride plate and the intake grate. If water leaks then your transom is probably leaking from bad sealant. This is not an absolute test for a transom leak because sometimes it requires water pressure from being up to speed forces water into the engine bay.
    But again, is it possible for water to make it all the way up to my front compartment at 85mph, if the water is coming from the back???

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bizeagle View Post
    I tried that on mine and No-Go.
    But it only leaked under hard acceleration.
    Reseal worked great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information