Running a seadoo out of water question?

Iím having trouble finding a coolant leak, itís only leaking while itís running from what I can tell. Question is whatís the main issue with running a seadoo out of water?? Burning up the carbon ring? If thatís the issue couldnít I just aim another water hose through the intake grate and aim it towards the carbon seal?

+1
    you could aim water at the ring to help. how many hours on on machine? it might just be a sacrifice and just put on new ring after leak is fixed.

I just got done put a new carbon ring on a couple of weeks ago and I’d rather not have to do that again lol

That would help cool it yes. Donít forget the ride plate is what cools the engine so it will overheat fairly quickly.

+1
    I'd take it down to the boat ramp at a time it's not busy and fire it up on the trailer with the pump in the water.

6. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you can do it if you have several water sources, you need to keep the exhaust cool, the ride plate cool and the carbon seal/pump cool

going to the ramp is the best way to do it assuming you don't have a 2000 gallon water tank for testing it ( like me)

No need to run any engine to find a coolant leak. Use a cooling system pressure tester. Its basically a small hand held air pump with a gauge and an adapter to hook up to were the fill cap attaches. Pump it up with until you reach 10 to 15 PSI. If its leaking it will be pushing coolant out the leak and the pressure gauge should be dropping.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sometimes a leak will not appear unless the engine is up to running temperatures. A good place to start however when the engine is dead cold. I'd suggest not pumping all the way to 15 however, as the gauges can be wildly inaccurate. an indicated ten psi should be enough.

i cannot emphasize how cautious you must be servicing hot pressurized cooling systems

ride plates are prone to leaks that are hard to see both inside and outside the hull. the screws leak often, the nipple leak inside the hull

if the PTO has been off, the gasket surface may not have had proper prep and its leaking from a spot that's going to be tough to see.

good luck

Thread Information