Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 FX SVHO Cruiser - Winterization Question

Hi All,

1. I've owned jet ski's for years....but just had a few questions with my new model. How much fogging oil is everyone spraying all over the engine? In the manual, it basically says spray it all over metallic parts in the engine..........but some of the metal is behind the wiring harness (I know some chemicals degrade plastics), hidden, etc. That fogging oil is messy and I really didn't want to make a mess all over if I didn't have to. I already fogged the cylinders so I'm good to go there. Is it really necessary to spray it over the entire engine, including the exhaust manifold?

2. Fuel Stabilizer - Manual says fill to full then add stabil. I actually had about 3/4 of a tank, threw stabilizer in, then rode it until it was at about 1/4 tank. Is that sufficient, or should I fill the tank back up and ad stabil?

Just want to get a feel for what everyone else is really doing.

Thanks!

+1
    1. I wouldn't use fogging oil in the engine bay. Instead, you'll want to use some form of rust prevention spray like Fluid Film or Yamashield. Spray it gradually inside your transom/ engine bay compartment and let it sit. A LIGHT coat is all you need.

2. Wait until you're done riding for the season to add your fuel stabilizer. Top off your tank with fresh gas and then throw it in. Run the ski on the hose for 5 minutes to help circulate it. You cant go wrong with Sta-bil or Star Tron.

Hope this helps! Nick.

In areas that are heavily populated in electrical components and plastics----> apply with a rag. Any silicone based lubricant should be used. Fluid film is still my favorite.

As stated above, you don't need much to get the job done. Also, crack the seats open just a bit to allow a flow of air.

Thanks guys! Picked up the Fluid Film at Lowes yesterday. I'll make sure to coat the exahust manifold with that, as well as any other areas I see. Last thing I have to do is fill up the gas tank, and lubricate the reverse gate mechanism, steering, and trim.

What's everyones thoughts on greasing the intermediate zerc fitting? (I believe that is what its called). My ski only has 30hrs on it, not sure if that's necessary yet. I'm sure I'd have to move something out of the way to get to it. It doesn't mention anything about it in the manual (not the service manual, I don't have that).

+1
    I don't have a clue as to what the intermediate zerc fitting is lol not a term I've heard before.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...erSHO_1642.pdf

Check out this link and reference page 94 for the main grease points.

+1
    He's talking about item #3 and grease fitting #9. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....20-%20INTERNAL

It a pain to get to. Need to unbolt the electrical box. Members have put on an extension hose for easy access. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...grease+fitting Greased my 18FXHO with 15 hours. After three pumps from a standard 14oz tube gun, I started to feel a slight resistance and stopped. You don't want to blow out the seals.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post

It a pain to get to. Need to unbolt the electrical box. Members have put on an extension hose for easy access. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...grease+fitting Greased my 18FXHO with 15 hours. After three pumps from a standard 14oz tube gun, I started to feel a slight resistance and stopped. You don't want to blow out the seals.
    It's no problem to get to once you get the knack. Get an extention hose on the grease gun......go in from the rear compartment & through the exhaust cut out in the bulkhead. Pump the grease in VERY SLOWLY.....
    7 pumps with a std grease gun......100 hours or yearly, this is what was always recomended when they actually printed it in the manual. It is worth doing as it stops water ingress to the bearing. As long as you go slowly, any excess grease will flow past the seal lips, which face outward.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro15 View Post
    I don't have a clue as to what the intermediate zerc fitting is lol not a term I've heard before.
    Zerk fitting, very common for grease fittings, widely used for automotive and some machinery.

Thanks ErieRunner! I've completely winterized...........and the ski has about 30 hrs. Should I go ahead and put some grease in that fitting? Stinks that I have to unbolt that electrical box to get to all of that. I definitely should put an extension hose for the fitting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbywmu View Post
    Thanks ErieRunner! I've completely winterized...........and the ski has about 30 hrs. Should I go ahead and put some grease in that fitting? Stinks that I have to unbolt that electrical box to get to all of that. I definitely should put an extension hose for the fitting.
    You don't need to unbolt the electric box......get an extension hose on the grease gun & go in from the exhaust compartment....it's relatively straight forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information