warm water hose for cold water activities

hey all, totally new here. just got my first ski a few days ago, 2015 fx ho. super stoked for sure.

so we plan on being out in cold temps all year long in New York.

i would like to tap into the hot water that exhausts on port side. is there a mod anyone can direct me to so we can have a hose line on the ski to pour onto our feet, into wetsuits, etc.?

thank you in advance, much appreciated

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by montanna View Post
    hey all, totally new here. just got my first ski a few days ago, 2015 fx ho. super stoked for sure.

so we plan on being out in cold temps all year long in New York.

i would like to tap into the hot water that exhausts on port side. is there a mod anyone can direct me to so we can have a hose line on the ski to pour onto our feet, into wetsuits, etc.?

thank you in advance, much appreciated
    just get the appropriate wet suit and boots and you won’t need the hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    just get the appropriate wet suit and boots and you wonít need the hot water
    I have enough suits. Iím not requesting that suggestion

csn anyone else kindly flern some light on my request?

Well. I solved this with some deductive resdoning

somply disconnect hose from thermostat and plug that hose
    run a new hose from thermostat to through hull part from marine store
    then finally run same 3/4 hose from barb along side of ski
    now we have super hot water for cold days

surprised more owners are not doing this

+1
    I have a hard time understanding this. I ride in freezing temps and have never had a need for this mod.
    Last edited by h2jim; 10-21-2018 at 07:53 AM.

6. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by montanna View Post
    now we have super hot water for cold days

How are you controlling the water temperature so you do not get too hot or burn your skin?

Simply pour over suit. In foot wells. Etc. not directly into suit

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    I have a hard time understanding this. I ride in freezing temps and have never had a need for this mod.

Yup. With proper gear it’s easy to stay comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Yup. With proper gear itís easy to stay comfortable
    I neglected to state my purpose. We surf and foil row surf so in the water a lot. If we were just sitting on ski then maybe not necessary

Been doing this mod on skis for years. Super simple on the vx. Just un hook the water out on top the motor valve cover. Clamp off the old hose and hang it up high near the u in the exhaust. leave the other end down below connected in the rear by the exhaust. Run a new hose same diameter to the hot out and basically don't be afraid to drill a hole in the side of the ski wherever you want the hot out line to go. biggest thing is don't kink the hose or hold it vert at idle. you want water to flow so you don't over heat your ski. When the Water is cold in the surf its real nice and usually don't get hot enough to burn ya. Now on the FX skis there's a thermostat and two hoses come off it. basically take the two hoses and do the same thing. ones prob an inch diameter the others like a quarter inch. been a while.... prob need about 10 or 12 feet of heater hose when doing this mod. On th FX the water gets real hot. We usually leave the hose in the well and mix some ocean water in and mix up a little batch and hot cup it in our suits with a plastic cup. Lastly if you live where it freezes when you get done riding add rv anti freeze into your flush. I like to see it come out the hose. don't run your ski till it over heats tho. If your hose is super long its not gunna build up fast enough to come out the hose before over heat warning comes on.... sometimes we just poor a little rv antifreeze rt into the line.... Never had any issues with this and any symptoms hurting the skis and have lots of friends that been doing this for 15 plus years thousands of hours logged on the machines but still do it at your own risk. The whole reasoning isn't for riding the ski in the cold. we do it because were surfing and taking waves on the head in 37 degree water and sometimes the wind chill gets brutal cold to single digits. pretty nice to warm back up and warm up them fingers toes and stuff. when the waves fire we can stay on or in the water till we run out of fuel 10 hours or so.... I don't care how good your gear is a wetsuit is meant for keeping you warm in the water not up on top in the wind. whoever driving often layers up with a grundens jacket or snowboard jacket.... good luck respect the paddle guys and you should be good

Thread Information