2018 VX Owner, any way to extend my season despite overnight freezes?

New England nights are starting to get down to the freezing mark and it is probably time to winterize the VX. I would love to be able to use it a few more weekends (salt water) and don't mind suiting up in a wetsuit to do so. Is there any easy way to do this or should I just call it quits for the season? I know there are vicious debates back and forth about the "self draining" yamaha motor VS using some anti-freeze, but I think I will use anti-freeze to be on the safe side. If I just poured a gallon of anti-freeze after flushing the motor (using a funnel down the flush port while the motor is running) would that be ok?

Also, where is the recommended fogging port on the TR1? Or just spray down the spark plug holes?
    Last edited by greginfinity; 10-17-2018 at 03:14 PM.

+1
    Go dry suit costs a bit more but better for cold water conditions (see dangerous waters on Amazon)

i think you will need a pump pump to get the anti freeze through the motor (needs some pressure)

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    75 watt light bulb in the hull should keep it from freezing

cover it and build some sort of wind break/corral for it

+1
    If you pour antifreeze down the flush port, whether the engine is running or not, it will just flow back out the pump. Its not like a car with a water pump which forces water thru the engine, the waverunner needs to be in water and the jet pressure pushes water thru the engine. You could rig up a pressurized method of doing it and clamping off the line to the pump so it doesn't all run out that way, but still would not get thru all the engine parts.
    I have had waverunners for 28 years, in a cold as -20F winter environment, and never had an issue with the waverunners not being full of antifreeze. YOU DO have to run the engine a short time out of the water with a couple of throttle blips to force excess water out of the water box. I have seen broken water boxes that were on waverunners with broke down engines and that did not get purged that way and froze, but never on mine.
    PS: 35 F here today and I rode mine, clothes, sweatshirt, and gloves, just don't fall off!

Quote Originally Posted by greginfinity View Post
    New England nights are starting to get down to the freezing mark and it is probably time to winterize the VX. I would love to be able to use it a few more weekends (salt water) and don't mind suiting up in a wetsuit to do so. Is there any easy way to do this or should I just call it quits for the season? I know there are vicious debates back and forth about the "self draining" yamaha motor VS using some anti-freeze, but I think I will use anti-freeze to be on the safe side. If I just poured a gallon of anti-freeze after flushing the motor (using a funnel down the flush port while the motor is running) would that be ok?

Also, where is the recommended fogging port on the TR1? Or just spray down the spark plug holes?

5. +1 by:

Thread Information