Oil smells like gas 2018 FX HO First 10 hour oil change.

I bought two 2018 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO's this year. Today I did first "10-hour" oil change.
    Oil level normal, engines run and sound good, but the old oil has the smell of gas on both units. No visible signs of gas. Is this normal?
    I only see threads with a smell of gas together with rising oil levels. Sorry if this thread exists somewhere already.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

First 10 running hours covers the engine break-in cycle. Did you follow the owners manual recommended method for break-in?

I would not worry about the odor. Gasoline whif in the oil at the first oil change, unless it was extreme.

I suggest changing both the oil and filter. Use the recommended Yamalube 4W oil.

Ride it another 50 hours to the next scheduled oil change. Monitor the oil level and odor. Report back in a few weeks

These watercraft are meant to be run at speed, not idling around and cruising off plane for long periods. Were you riding quickly or slowly once you got past the initial 90 minute break-in period?
    Last edited by K447; 10-14-2018 at 06:23 PM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Mostly unrelated, but i had a tuned civic one time that spun 9,000 RPM, ran like a raped ape and got the worst fuel mileage ever.. im talking 19mpg in a 2 door civic.. I changed the oil and (it holds 4 quarts) it had around 7 quarts in it and was mostly gasoline... Worst thing ever..
    I wouldnt worry about yours. I'm sure its still under warranty. change oil and filter like posted above and keep an eye on it.

+1
    If both identical skis oil smelled the same I would think that would be to much of a coincidence to indicate a problem....just sayin...

Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by bill321 View Post
    If both identical skis oil smelled the same I would think that would be to much of a coincidence to indicate a problem....just sayin...
    This makes sense to me, just searching for reassurance for peace of mind. Even a service tech at local dealer was not able to give me a straight answer. Changed oil and filter on both units, will keep an eye and a nose on it for the next ride or two.
    Thanks.

Break-in was done as suggested by Yamaha. The rest was a mix of everything, near idle to get out from the channel, most of our rides are mixed speed between 40% and 80% of total power. Both of them have less than 20 minutes of all-out 100% sprints.
    Changed oil and filter with Yamalube and original filter. will keep an eye and nose on it for the next few rides.
    Thanks.

Mine never smelled

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by outrunner.mike@gmail.com View Post
    Break-in was done as suggested by Yamaha.

... Both of them have less than 20 minutes of all-out 100% sprints.
    Break-in includes wide open throttle, at first for a few seconds followed by mid-range varying, then more seconds at wide open and back down, and then some more.

20 minutes of wide open in the first 10 hours is barely enough.

It will have to do, as far as initial break-in, but going forward get out there and RUN the thing

Enjoy your time on the water. These things are quite capable of running wide open until you run out of fuel.

Thread Information