Polaris 650 carb Issue

Wondering if there is anyone around or you know someone that could take a good look at my carbs??

i rebuilt the carbs, installed a tripled outlet fuel pump, installed new reeds, and installed new pistons and rings, new stator, and I am still having a bog issue.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure your carbs are all in sync first.

I like to use the back end of a small drill bit. With the the carbs removed from the engine.

1. turn in the idle speed screw until the throttle plate is open just enough for the drill bit to slip into the gap between the carb body and throttle plate..

2. Now adjust the linkage screw until the CEN throttle plate is open just enough for the drill bit to slip through the gap.

3. Now adjust the linkage screw for the last carb until the drill bit fits into that gap.

4. Adjust any of the screws again until you achieve all 3 carbs opening the EXACT same amount at the exact same time.

Once you are happy with the adjustments put them back onto the engine and and remember to turn your idle speed screw back to proper idle RPM.

With your carbs off, it's not a bad idea to check your pop off pressures. You want all 3 to be the exact same pressure.

Also write down what jets you presently have inside the carbs and which cyl they are for. You can then compare them to stock settings.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to completely disassemble the carbs and blast some compressed air through all of the internal orifices just to be sure they are clear.

Lastly, I would remove the limiter caps on the low speed screws and check them to the specs for your model and year as well as the high speed screws.

It sounds like a lot of work, but really isn't. You can prob do all of this under 2 hours for a beginner and about 1 for more experienced guys.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located?

Tip: Click on My Profile, in the top right of the GH web site, and add your location info. Then others can see if they are nearby your area, or perhaps know someone who is.

Xlint89:

i have done steps 1-4 checking the evenness of the opening with a drill bit

have had the carbs off numerous times and blown air through them

i initially set the high/low speed settings and rich/lean them up to help and no good

i do not have the tool for checking the pop off pressures..could I send them to you to check?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I had that issue on my 650 and I ended up going up one size on the low speed jet. After doing all of the same things you did

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I can test your pop off if you wish.

If you don't want to send them off yet, you can try applying your choke a little bit as you stab the throttle. If it seems to help, you can try the larger pilot jet as Bryan suggests ^^^^

Thread Information