Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

GP 1800 beach dolly/trailer build

Hey y'all, for a long time I've had this idea that someday I'd get a toy hauler and be able to get my Waverunner and street bike in it and be able to do a little traveling around to different lakes/rivers to have fun on as well as explore said areas on the bike. Well, I finally acquired a used toy hauler last week and am onto building my dolly/trailer for the ski. With out going into all the details, my question is, does anybody have knowledge or educated guess as to the front to rear balance point might be on the GP. I realize that this will vary quite a bit depending on how much fuel is in the tank. This trailer will be a single axle using 8" golf cart wheels and I'd like it to be fairly balanced to make it easy to wheel and maneuver around by hand. I'm thinking the balance point is around 4-5' from the rear of the ski, which is mid to front engine. Thoughts.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Will you be using this as an actual trailer on the road, or only for low speed use getting the hull in and out of the water?

If you can do dual axles, I suspect that would make it a lot easier to handle it as a ‘cart/dolly’. It would sit level when you let go, which allows you to move around without having to put the tongue ‘down’. A dual axle cart would be ‘less’ sensitive to the exact position of the hull center of gravity.

Single axle would make it more prone to see-saw motion when moving it around by hand, especially if the tires catch on something.

How low to the ground will the bunks be? The fuel tank weight might vary by 100 pounds between full and nearly empty. If the cart is also ‘tall’ you might find it tricky to maintain cart balance when the ski is loaded.

+1
    Balance point for the GP1800 hull I would agree is somewhere near the mid or front of the engine, depending on fuel load. The 1.8 liter engine is quite heavy.

+1
    about 140 lbs tongue weight and you can tow/drive anywhere you want , even Mud Bug !

+1
    Thanks for the responses guys. Keith, going single axle because I think that trying to maneuver a dual axle by hand will be very difficult, as far as having to put the trailer tounge down or being tippy front to back, I've located some simple flip down extendable stabilizer stands that I'm going to mount under the front and rear of the trailer, these are as much for making it solid during transport in the TH as anything. I'm also making the tounge completely removable so that when I'm in transport mode it will be only as long as the ski, 11'. I wasn't planning on towing this on the street and I'm not bothering with suspension. The tires are about 18" tall and the bunks will be just over the tires, the trailer is going to be fairly narrow as the outside overall width to the tires is 36", that means the ski will hang off each side by 6", I'm doing this to get max space out of the TH, doing it this way will allow the ski to hang over the TH fender wells inside the TH. So much for not going into a lot of detail, Lol.

+1
    Have you thought about how you will get it up and down the ramp on the TH? What kind of TH is it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N' U View Post
    Have you thought about how you will get it up and down the ramp on the TH? What kind of TH is it?
    The TH is a 2005 Forest River (old school) with a front bedroom plus the drop down bed in the cargo area. On the kitchen side there is 11.5' to the first cabinet (just long enough!) and about 12.5' to the side entry door. My plan was to make the removable trailer tounge long enough that I would be able to back the ski up the ramp so that when the rear wheels of the truck reach the ramp that the wheels of the dolly/trailer would have just made it into the TH, I would then put a strap on it to make sure that it wouldn't be able to roll out, unhook from the truck and hand maneuver the ski into its travel location and remove the tounge. I realize that this is going to be a pretty long tounge but it's either fo it this way or use a small winch or come along, and I figured since I would have to have some type of removable tounge to launch with I would give this a try.

+1
    Consider using a tongue hinge. I have used the Fulton tongue hinge with good results. Very strong, easy to fold open and closed.

To reduce slop in the tongue hinge (my trailer is long and heavy) I changed the big vertical hinge bolt to a mertic bolt, which is just a hair larger diameter and takes a lot of the hinge play out.

On the removable pin side I also hunted around and found a pin with slightly larger OD that just barely fits through the hinge pin holes. And I snugged the hinge bolt just tight enough to create some friction in the hinge. Result is very little vertical or horizontal play.

I went even further and added aluminum 'pads' (flat sheet material shaped to fold down between the hinge faces) top and bottom. About 1/16" thick aluminum IIRC.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Outboardjohn View Post
    The TH is a 2005 Forest River (old school) with a front bedroom plus the drop down bed in the cargo area. On the kitchen side there is 11.5' to the first cabinet (just long enough!) and about 12.5' to the side entry door. My plan was to make the removable trailer tounge long enough that I would be able to back the ski up the ramp so that when the rear wheels of the truck reach the ramp that the wheels of the dolly/trailer would have just made it into the TH, I would then put a strap on it to make sure that it wouldn't be able to roll out, unhook from the truck and hand maneuver the ski into its travel location and remove the tounge. I realize that this is going to be a pretty long tounge but it's either fo it this way or use a small winch or come along, and I figured since I would have to have some type of removable tounge to launch with I would give this a try.
    That makes since, we have a TH and I knew I wouldn't be able to push it up the ramp without a lot of help...LOL.

+1
    You got that right Dust N', 62 years young and a strapping 145 lbs. there's no question that if that ski gets loose I'm flattened like Wiley Coyote with an Acme safe on his ass! Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information