+1

Q's about carb'ed 951 when raves open

I have an issue that so far has not been resolved. Most of the time when riding in large groups, we try to keep cruising speed about 5000 rpm. After raves have opened. One ski does not like to hold rpm there. It will run under 4800 or above 5200. But nothing between. When it reaches 4800, jumps to 5200. This ski is an RX, but most of the others are usually GTX models. I have changed out rave valves with new ones, new bellows, springs, adjusted up and down. Swapped the module with another. Nothing has changed.

Today with another module swapped I did get some variation when adjusting the rave springs a little tighter. Not such a drastic jump when rpms rise. But still unable to hole anywhere close to 5000 rpm.

A little history on this particular ski. It ran fine, not noticeable to me at that time, before said owner swamped the engine. Towed back the 14 miles down river and drained hull for 10 minutes before able to get motor accessible. Finally get the water purged from engine and was started later that evening. During this little escapade river riding, all of the plastic exhaust components melted and collapsed. It was all replaced and ski has been running fine for the last several years. Except it wont hold at 5000 rpm like all of the other skis. The owner is very anal anyway, and this is annoying him too much. So he wears me out about the problem.

Besides this slight issue the ski runs extremely fast and strong. Runs circles around all of the stock and modified GTX's that are usually in the group.

Any ideas from 951 owners?

tell him to ride at 5200 rpm's

+1
    I've never ridden a 951 that DIDN'T have it. You can lessen it by adjusting RAVE's out flush with housing and then fine tune with the water regulating valve. It will still be there just not as pronounced. It's a combination of the valves opening and the engine getting "up on the pipe" around the same RPM.

+1
    What doesnt make sense that none of the other skis are anywhere near this noticeable. His main ski is a 951 GTX that absolutely does not have the problem.

I just noticed he had sometime in the recent past adjusted the raves out all the way. When first riding today I noticed a broader range when the raves opened up. Around 4500 up. I adjusted the raves in 1 1/2 turns and that power surge narrowed up substantially. I wasnt thinking at the time they should have been all the way in to begin with. So wasted time trying to do any good. The air quality was off the chart today so both skis were consistently running 7080 rpm on top.

One difference between both of his skis. This RX has head cut down that measures 43cc's on motor. Not as tight like some of the other ones but his GTX is still stock uncut about 47cc's on motor. I do know higher compression does affect that surge. But my RX, same year and XP Limited both hold at 5000 without issue. I finally cut my XPL down to 42cc's installed and the surge is more pronounced. But still holds easily at 5000 rpm.

Thanks to everyone for any input or suggestions.

Thread Information