restore polaris virage 700 dual carb

good morning to everyone,
    im just bought a a virage from one friend that didnt use it from 2 year, and now i'd like to turnit on by my self before winter storage.
    he told me he tryed to turn it on some months ago but wont start (he said maybe coz a bad battery).
    is it correct to clean tank e fill it with fresh gazole, check fuel hose ,put a little of 2 stoke oil in spark hole replace sparks and try to start with a good battery?
    do you have any suggestions?
    lorenzo from Italy

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

I would assume the carburetors need internal cleaning and rebuild. Plan to do this before riding the machine, even before a 'test ride'.

Before you start it, check cylinder compression.
    All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open, strong battery.

Click my signature link for a lot more info regarding common maintenance, service, and upgrades.

Priming the carburetor throats with a little gasoline dribble mixed with 2-stroke oil should allow the engine to start.

You can drain the gasoline tank and leave it empty during storage. If there is any signs of dirt or water in the bottom of the tank it should be cleaned before new gasoline is installed.

tnx so much for reply,
    i suppouse carbs are ok, coz he rebluilt engine 4 years ago and he use it realy for small period, he same for comrpession, i will see and then i will know what i need to do... .the weekend i will try to start it....

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzo.giannetto1982 View Post
    tnx so much for reply,
    i suppose carbs are ok, coz he rebuilt engine 4 years ago and he use it really for small period,

the same for comrpession, i will see and then i will know what i need to do... .the weekend i will try to start it....
    Gasoline can become quite bad in four years. Old gasoline can create gummy or crusty deposits inside the carburetors.

These engines do not tolerate problems with the carburetors or the fuel system.

Everything in the fuel system must be 100% good or there is a real risk of engine damage. Lean burn can melt a hole though a piston in minutes, sometimes in less than one minute at speed.

Thread Information