Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Triton WC2-2 to 14" wheel/tires

Has anyone upgraded their WC2-2 to 14" wheels? I'm wondering if the axle to axle cl dim is adjustable. I'm replacing my Elite WCII with a WC2-2 asap and wish to convert to 14" for superior tire selection. Need to pull two new model RXT types long distances. Will sell the WCII after I'm set up.

Jay S
    S-La.

dont waste your money. The tires that come with the premium wheel package what ever size they are run perfect. I do NY to fl non stop 1200 miles most of it between 75-80mph. Tires/hubs barely even get warm!!. Trailer doesnt even flinch! 2 heavy skies as well.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    This would be a torsion axle model, correct?

The larger tires and 14 inch wheels may be a tight fit under the stock fenders.

If you order the trailer from Triton with 14 inch tires then it should be fine.

If you order the trailer with smaller tires then you may need to add a spacer to get enough jounce clearance between fender inside and tire top. My previous Triton Elite double (single axle) came with 12 inch tires and I upgraded to 13". I had to add 1/2" spacer between frame and axle to avoid tire contact with finder underside on hard road bumps.

I have the WC2-2 with 13 inch tires. That makes the bunk height already kinda high from the ground, which means the trailer has to back fairly far down the launch ramp to get the bunks at least partially submerged.

I added a Fulton tongue hinge and 3 foot entension to allow the trailer to be farther into the water before the tow vehicle wheels get wet.

Evey 2 inches of increased tire diameter lifts the trailer frame by a full inch. If an axle spacer also needs to be added (at the factory or by you) to maintain tire to fender clearance that height gets added to the frame height.

My WC2-2 (13 inch tires) tows nicely with two full size watercraft and a standup. Trailer frame is rated for 4000+ pounds but the trailer load sticker is down rated to 3000ish pounds if ordered without brakes.

I have posted elsewhere on here regarding various upgrades to my WC2-2.

I towed it about 4000 miles last year.

+1
    If you really want superior tire selection, go to a P tire rather than an ST. I run a 14 inch P radial and it is the same diameter as a 13 inch ST, 24 inches.
    I run Michelin Defender P185/70-14.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    If you really want superior tire selection, go to a P tire rather than an ST. I run a 14 inch P radial and it is the same diameter as a 13 inch ST, 24 inches.
    I run Michelin Defender P185/70-14.
    The load rating on those tires is only 1235 pounds. Not enough for 2 large 'Skis and trailer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The load rating on those tires is only 1235 pounds. Not enough for 2 large 'Skis and trailer.
    I have been running P tires for years without issues. They provide a much better ride and much more dependable than junky ST tires. I don't really see your concern about the load. 4 of those tires would provide 5000 pounds of capacity.

+1
    I have been running P tires for years without issues. They provide a much better ride and much more dependable than junky ST tires. I don't really see your concern about the load. 4 of those tires would provide 5000 pounds of capacity.
    Do you run those tires on a tandem? No sway issues? Even so, I understand there are other types than ST, however I'm a bit worried if I were liable in any bad accident and had incorrect tires on a trailer. Wouldn't any attorney worth his salt would jump all over that?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This would be a torsion axle model, correct?

The larger tires and 14 inch wheels may be a tight fit under the stock fenders.

If you order the trailer from Triton with 14 inch tires then it should be fine.

If you order the trailer with smaller tires then you may need to add a spacer to get enough jounce clearance between fender inside and tire top. My previous Triton Elite double (single axle) came with 12 inch tires and I upgraded to 13". I had to add 1/2" spacer between frame and axle to avoid tire contact with finder underside on hard road bumps.

I have the WC2-2 with 13 inch tires. That makes the bunk height already kinda high from the ground, which means the trailer has to back fairly far down the launch ramp to get the bunks at least partially submerged.

I added a Fulton tongue hinge and 3 foot entension to allow the trailer to be farther into the water before the tow vehicle wheels get wet.

Evey 2 inches of increased tire diameter lifts the trailer frame by a full inch. If an axle spacer also needs to be added (at the factory or by you) to maintain tire to fender clearance that height gets added to the frame height.

My WC2-2 (13 inch tires) tows nicely with two full size watercraft and a standup. Trailer frame is rated for 4000+ pounds but the trailer load sticker is down rated to 3000ish pounds if ordered without brakes.

I have posted elsewhere on here regarding various upgrades to my WC2-2.

I towed it about 4000 miles last year.
    Yes, torsion axles. Right, spacing up fender height on these is so simple it wasn't worth me mentioning. I think though with your feedback on overall trailer dimension negatives with increased tire dia, I may rethink going the 14" route. I just liked the better ST's available in 14" and the lower RPM's with 26"+ dia over 24".

+1
    I was looking at the single axle trailer in your avatar. Of course, those are light 'Skis. But if you were to put heavier 'Skis on that trailer, you'd be pushing your luck.

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Just run radial trailer tires. Much improved ride over the bias ply tires. No need to use a passenger car tire.

The 13 inch wheels/tires are more than adequate for hauling two pwcs. I don’t understand the obsession with people wanting bigger tires on their trailers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information