Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winterizing Non-Running Machine

My 2006 4-Tec is currently not running*, but freezing temperatures are fast approaching. I do not own a trailer and leave the PWC on its lift during winters, so I can't bring it into the garage. I have always run RV antifreeze through the system through the flush port out back while the engine is running. But I can't do that this year!

Can someone provide some pointers on getting antifreeze into the exhaust and waterbox effectively without the engine running?

Thanks in advance!

* I'm getting a Check Engine message with a P1655 code. That indicates the DESS is shorted to 12V. I replaced the DESS post, then the starter relay. Still no good.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Merker View Post
    My 2006 4-Tec is currently not running*, but freezing temperatures are fast approaching. I do not own a trailer and leave the PWC on its lift during winters, so I can't bring it into the garage. I have always run RV antifreeze through the system through the flush port out back while the engine is running. But I can't do that this year!

Can someone provide some pointers on getting antifreeze into the exhaust and waterbox effectively without the engine running?

Thanks in advance!

* I'm getting a Check Engine message with a P1655 code. That indicates the DESS is shorted to 12V. I replaced the DESS post, then the starter relay. Still no good.
    Pull hoses off intercooler. Blow compressed air through the hoses and intercooler and possibly fill intercooler with antifreeze. Remove the exhaust/muffler, drain it and store it in a warm place. Blow compressed air again through the system. You should be good to go.. Its the intercooler and muffler which holds freezable water.

+1
    No need to remove the muffler. Take off the hose that goes into the muffler and pour in antifreeze.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Supercharged or 155?? If 155 you're in pretty good shape. As mentioned above pour antifreeze into exhaust but don't use RV antifreeze for this, use unmixed (not 50/50) auto antifreeze. No mater how you do it it will mix with water in the muffler so BRP calls for full strength. If intercooled do the same there, about 1-2 cups into hose from intercooler to exhaust manifold then 1-2 cups into upper intercooler hose barb. You can still pull spark plugs and fog, not as good as being able to turn it over but way better than not fogging at all, especially if it's an early 06 with the hallow exhaust valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Supercharged or 155??... As mentioned above pour antifreeze into exhaust but don't use RV antifreeze for this, use unmixed (not 50/50) auto antifreeze.
    Sandpiper, it's the 155. Would you elaborate on why I should not use RV antifreeze? Is it just because of the dilution once it hits the water that's already in the waterbox? If that's your rationale, could that be solved by running a couple of gallons down through the system rather than 1-2 cups?

Where I live (Indiana) it may hit -10F at the lowest point of the winter. The RV antifreeze I've always used is rated to -50F.

+1
    With the 155 you don't have to worry about an intercooler then, and fogging is still important but not critical without the hollow valves. As for using pure rad fluid, that's what BRP now calls for. Your choice! You're only looking at $5 either way.

Sandpiper, it's not the cost that concerns me, it's spitting the stuff out next Spring when I fire it up. The ski is kept on its lift year-round.

If it's only 1-2 cups, though, I think I could do it (use automotive antifreeze) with a clear conscious. I've always run 2 gallons of RV antifreeze into the system without knowing how much of it immediately cycled back out into the lake through the exhaust and how much was retained within the system.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Merker View Post
    Sandpiper, it's not the cost that concerns me, it's spitting the stuff out next Spring when I fire it up. The ski is kept on its lift year-round.

If it's only 1-2 cups, though, I think I could do it (use automotive antifreeze) with a clear conscious. I've always run 2 gallons of RV antifreeze into the system without knowing how much of it immediately cycled back out into the lake through the exhaust and how much was retained within the system.
    There are multiple types of antifreeze. Some of the stuff sold as ‘RV antifreeze’, and often colored pink, is just alcohol mixture.

The appropriate anti-freeze chemistry for PWC is propylene glycol. It is non-toxic to the environment. It is used in some automotive applications and I think is the factory fill on the Seadoo closed loop cooling system.

The nasty toxic ‘automotive’ stuff is ethylene glycol, and I am unaware of any reason to choose that over the propylene glycol anti-freeze. Propylene glycol provides plenty of freeze protection and can be flushed out in the spring without environmental concerns.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    With any anti-freeze used in PWC, always read the contents label.

Do not go by the product color, confirm what it actually is made of.

Great information, K447! Thank you!

And thank you to everyone else who has provided so much help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information