putting away waverunner for winter, trailer question

Hi, I got my wave runner winterized and shrink wrapped and storing it in my back yard. Do I need to do anything for the trailer? Should I remove the tires anything else???

+1
    I would jack it up and put some blocks or jack stands under the axle. 4-5 months will put flat spots on the tires, if they are radials, they will even out. but not sure about the bias ply tires.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Inflate the trailer tires to slightly above the max pressure printed on the sidewall. They will slowly lose some pressure during storage, but max air pressure will minimize flat spotting.

A lot of watercraft trailers are stored with tires on the ground, that is quite common.

I tend to park my trailer with the tongue lifted up quite high (I put a saw horse under the tongue) to encourage water drainage from the footwells, should any water get inside the cover. I also leave the drain plugs loose in case water somehow gets inside the hull.

Apply some lube to the coupler mechanism and the winch. Dab a little dielectric grease on the trailer electrical connector pins to minimize corrosion.

If the ski is all sealed up with wrap already, not much more you can do in terms of ‘prep’. Most storage prep and winterization work is done prior to the wrapping. I presume you had this work done.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Inflate the trailer tires to slightly above the max pressure printed on the sidewall. They will slowly lose some pressure during storage, but max air pressure will minimize flat spotting.

A lot of watercraft trailers are stored with tires on the ground, that is quite common.

I tend to park my trailer with the tongue lifted up quite high (I put a saw horse under the tongue) to encourage water drainage from the footwells, should any water get inside the cover. I also leave the drain plugs loose in case water somehow gets inside the hull.

Apply some lube to the coupler mechanism and the winch. Dab a little dielectric grease on the trailer electrical connector pins to minimize corrosion.

If the ski is all sealed up with wrap already, not much more you can do in terms of ‘prep’. Most storage prep and winterization work is done prior to the wrapping. I presume you had this work done.
    Thanks K447

+1
    Assuming you have a trailer with zerk fittings in the hubs, take the rubber hub caps off, use a grease gun and shoot water proof grease into the hubs to expel any moisture or water contaminated grease. Make sure the grease is pushing out of the hubs with clean, water proof grease. Keep in mind that every time you launch from your trailer, your hubs are under water. The primary barrier between the water and the hub bearings is that grease that fills up the hubs. Any moisture left in the wheel bearing hubs will allow corrosion of the bearings to begin.
    Last edited by bizeagle; 10-08-2018 at 09:01 AM.

6. +1 by:

Thread Information