+1

Anyone ever used these Indiana made PWC trailer?

This isn't Triton/Shoreland'r/Karavan, so I've never heard of them. $1400 for a new double trailer out the door seems like a great deal. Anyone ever seen or used one of these before?

http://www.trailersforpontoons.com/j..._trailers.html

I could pick one up on the way back from my hometown when I visit, so it'd work well for me.

+1
    I don't have experience with that company, but the low price may be due to the frame material, powder coated steel. In FL, a galvanized or aluminum is mandatory if you want it to last. Since you're in fresh water, you should be good.

+1
    Well, it IS a cheap price. They don't say how thick the metal is on the 2-place. They are made of steel TUBING, which generally sucks. It appears that the bars that the winches are mounted on cannot be adjusted sideways. While this might be strong enough for the 2700 pound weight capacity, I can guarantee that when you watch it in the mirror it will be flexing a lot. They don't say what brand of axle they use, and there are good ones and junkie ones. I would prefer sliders on the spring mounts, stronger than welding the spring mounts to the frame and adjustable to get your tongue weight correct.

I recently completed building a double trailer from scratch, my first but not my last. I used CHANNEL to prevent rotting. It is heavy, it is strong, and I like it that way. Here's a link explaining how I built it, which includes why you should never buy a steel tube trailer: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274990

+1
    For only $500 more, you could get this brand new Triton and have a trailer that will last a lifetime:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/t...698610313.html

5. +1 by:

Let me start by saying I know nothing about these trailers. That being said, Elkhart IN is the RV manufacturing center of the world. There are tons of highly skilled craftsmen and suppliers in the area. Being from Indiana myself I would make the call and get the specs to see if they are worth it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Well, it IS a cheap price. They don't say how thick the metal is on the 2-place. They are made of steel TUBING, which generally sucks. It appears that the bars that the winches are mounted on cannot be adjusted sideways. While this might be strong enough for the 2700 pound weight capacity, I can guarantee that when you watch it in the mirror it will be flexing a lot.
    Wow, I've never seen rust on a powder coated trailer like the ones you posted, thats crazy! This what my 21-year old ShoreLand'r looks like (I've had it 8 years, and it sits outside April thru Oct)

As you can see, when they never see salt they last a lot longer.

I talked to the company that makes the trailers I posted. They have a common frame they use for all their boat applications, and are in the ballpark as powder coated ShoreLand'rs and Karavan/Yacht Club trailers. The cost savings comes because they sell right out of the factory in Elkhart: there is no shipping costs or markup from a dealership.

Most of the time my skis stay on their hoists in the water a few hundred yards from our house, but now that my kids are getting older we may start taking a few trips each summer within the state. As much as I'd love a newer aluminum trailer, I can't justify the cost for something that'll sit 360 days a year and might go on a trip over 10 miles once a year. That being said, I'm starting to think a $600 Craigslist trailer like Yacht Club or ShoreLand'r might be the best option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    For only $500 more, you could get this brand new Triton and have a trailer that will last a lifetime:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/t...698610313.html
    Ha, I was just there a month ago. My work buys parts from them. I'll have to find out who our lead guy is that deals with them and see if they want to make me a crazy good deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShoreLandr1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	440459  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueMartin View Post
    Wow, I've never seen rust on a powder coated trailer like the ones you posted, thats crazy! This what my 21-year old ShoreLand'r looks like (I've had it 8 years, and it sits outside April thru Oct)

As you can see, when they never see salt they last a lot longer.
    That's not even a legitimate comparison.

The trailer I cut apart and posted the pictures of was painted, not powder coated (which doesn't make any difference). I don't like powder coating, myself. It was also never used in salt water, it spent it's life in West Texas, which is a virtual desert. The problem is that the frame wasn't made with enough drain holes, and the previous owners didn't flush it after use.

Your trailer doesn't exhibit rusting because you're showing the tongue, which drains (if it even gets in the water). You need to look at the REAR crossbeam and side rails. I've had to replace a couple of trailer crossbeams because of poor drainage.

+1
    for what its worth...My trailer uses channel iron...no rust...doesn't need to drain...will last a long time...my trailer was built by J-Rod in 1999 and is still looking good......Channel iron was a good choice !

Thread Information