2 water strainer kits or just 1. 2016 FZS

I have the dedicated intercooler line on my 16 fzs. Because of sand clogging the intercooler after an aftermarket intake grate install I decided to add an inline water strainer (groco) for this.

My question now is to add add a secondary water strainer before the 4way fitting for the line that comes off the pump to cool the motor?

thoughts?

+1
    Well, if sand is blocking your intercooler, it will be doing the same in the engine one would think.

+1
    I have one that just services whole cooling system

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey27925 View Post
    I have the dedicated intercooler line on my 16 fzs. Because of sand clogging the intercooler after an aftermarket intake grate install I decided to add an inline water strainer (groco) for this.

My question now is to add add a secondary water strainer before the 4way fitting for the line that comes off the pump to cool the motor?

thoughts?
    You only need one for the intercooler. It's not needed for the motor as the water passages are very large and will not clog.

Groco Universal Water Filter/Strainer For Intercoolers

This kit uses a high quality Groco water strainer. Universal Water Filter/Strainer Kit protects your intercooler from damage & reduced efficiency due...
    RY1013-SDF-UK $44.95

+1
    I've been looking at installing one of these to my ski when it comes out for the winter. Does anyone here have any install pics or general advice on how-to that they can share?

+1
    I installed one just like the one Greenhulk sales. I mounted just above the Battery on the right side. I felt wth trip to Mudbug ... it was a great idea. Steve lee

+1
    The only "negative" aspect about adding an in-line strainer is the added rise (aka plumbing height) it will add to your system's design. This will function much like a dam, preventing the gravity-drain characteristics of the Yamaha open loop system's drainage route, as the gravity-feed path is in reverse flow out the intake screen in the pump nozzle. So if you add a strainer, especially mounting it high somewhere, you'll be proportionally limiting that same height of water not being able to drain from the rest of the loop. Does that matter. Maybe not. In freezing areas - it could.

A possible "fix" for the self-drain problem this mod introduces, is to retain the OEM low hose routing along the keel, add two T's for the strainer loop, along with a ball valve parallel on the oem route, for which one can open when the ski is laid-up, and allow for complete loop drainage.

Thread Information