Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Buying a Dealer Demo Ski (10hrs)

Well,

I'm in the market for a GP1800. There aren't many of them left here in the PNW, but a local dealer has a demo ski with 10hrs on it.

I'm a bit hesitant to buy a demo ski, as I worry it was not properly broken in. I also realize that I might be paranoid, and that buying the last 18' demo ski might give me a decent amount of leverage to work a deal.

What are everyone's thoughts on buying a dealer demo?

Oliver

+1
    I bought a 2018 RXP 300 this year as a demo. It saved me about $2K. BRP actually provides a longer warranty on demo units. In a year or two, you will be way ahead, IMO. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I seriously doubt that a dealer would let someone go out and abuse a brand new 'Ski. They would (most likely) be the ones fixing it if something happened.

I'd bet that riders only got to ride in L-mode, unless they were previous customers and known to be serious riders.

Lake Lion
    +1
    Make sure you get the 5 year warranty. I know someone with a 2014 FX SVHO and this will be the 4th engine in it under warranty.

+1
    Today's four-strokers are hard to NOT break-in correctly. Seating the rings - not so much, as the cylinder walls are not aggressively honed to begin with. Loosen bearing surfaces - not so much, as it's built with precision tolerances.
    If anything, break-ins for these motors are really just to shake-out any possible defects really, so I'd say after 10 hours, it's more than g2g. Besides, if there were any real risk at increased failures do to user break-in technique, one could read-in that Yamaha would have programming governed a progressive RPM limiter for the 1st several hours. Reality is that they don't, which can be a testament in of itself.
    As a prospective demo owner, the previous poster made the best point - warranty.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    As a prospective demo owner, the previous poster made the best point - warranty.
    which applies whether you get a brand new or demo ski...

+1
    Thanks for all of the valuable opinions. I think I'm going to go take a look at this ski the weekend after next and see what kind of a deal I can work. I'm thinking I might be able to get a good price given that the snow has just begun to fall and everyones trying to get their new sleds for the year.

Oliver

After reading about break in, I feel like I would be concerned if it was broke in "by the book". Seems like demo ski that likely experienced short bursts of full throttle has much better ring seal than "babied" ski broken in as per manual. Yamaha throws extended warranty for 2018 modes now, so I am sure you can get hell of a deal on practically brand new ski. Good luck!

I just purchased 2018 wake that was dealer demo. Has 15hrs on it. It was the owners of the dealership for the summer. Got $3000 off and 5 years warranty. I think I got a good deal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbutta View Post
    Make sure you get the 5 year warranty. I know someone with a 2014 FX SVHO and this will be the 4th engine in it under warranty.
    Curious as to why for each one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information