Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canyon Lake

Jacobs creek is open all year long

+1
    Man, the weather has gotten cold here in DFW. If this keeps up, I'll have to go south just to keep riding. I usually ride till the end of October, but maybe not this year.

+1
    Canyon Lake is currently only 1.5' low. I went out on Sunday, so nice to have the level back up. A ton of water coming in right now, but not enough to push debris to jacobs creek.
    You guys come out to the meetup on the 27th!

+1
    This might be Austin's last warm week. You guys will get the cold weather on Monday. Friday will be 82, Monday will be 60.

+1
    I really enjoyed my ride on Canyon Lake last week. I love to travel with my skis and visit different lakes. I had never been on Canyon before.

Let me start with how wonderfully clear the water is. I live about 60 miles from Possum Kingdom Lake and Canyon has water that maybe a little more clear than PK.

I have ridden all the Highland Lakes and was always frustrated by the lack of good access to the ramps, almost like they didn't really want you on the lake, LOL. Canyon Lake has over 20 ramps and most are available to the public, many without charge. I have always found Corp lakes to be much more visitor friendly than county/city run lakes. On the first day, I launched from Jacobs Creek. It would have been nice to have a credit card machine at the unattended gate, but I had $7.00 to feed the meter. The twin ramps were nice, but there was no sand or beach area near the ramps. I had my anchor, but the lake gets deep very quickly making the use of the anchor challenging in the wind. Unfortunately, the bathrooms were closed and I had to change clothes in my truck, LOL. That was a first at a ramp.

The second day I went to Potters Creek, but did not launch, tall grass and no where to anchor. I then went to the other side of the lake to Cranes Mill. They accepted my America the Beautiful Pass and did not charge me. The ramp area again has a steep drop off and no landing area for boats. They do have a great parking lot and a nice courtesy dock for boats to pick up people.

The lake is pretty good size, but feels much smaller than it actually is. The stumps and debris areas are concentrated to small areas and were never an issue. I did notice a really nice sandy beach north of Jacobs, but it appeared to be limited to people associated with the military. I also saw a marina or two that had signs stating that admission was for military only. I had never seen this type of restriction before. Bummer really since the beach looked so welcoming.

Overall, it was a nice trip and I enjoyed it much more than LBJ or Buchanan. Travis has a more interesting shoreline and much longer for exploring, but Canyon is a gem for the local folks in that area. I will be back!

+1

For future Trips. The lake got tons of water last week and likely has some debris still floating. it is up 4 feet above full.
    I am winterizing my skis already, doubt i will go out again this year.
    I hope to visit some of the other lakes next year.

The courtesy docks at canyon are pretty shitty and will beat up a ski, mostly all rocks and very deep, very fast so nearly impossible to anchor.
    The beach I marked is very nice, I will beach the EX there, but not my GP.

Wish i could have made it out to ride with you, it would have been sweet.
    I would love to ride Travis next year too. just keep me posted, i know you said you usually go during the week which is perfect for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lake.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	441068  

+1
    That beach is the one I was referring to. I did not know if I was allowed to beach there. It appeared to be in the Air Force Rec area.
    The marina that you have marked is the one that I passed on the way down the peninsula to Cranes Mill. I wasn't sure if there was a place to anchor or operate out of.

We can definitely get together next year. It is rare to find someone that can ride during the week.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    That beach is the one I was referring to. I did not know if I was allowed to beach there. It appeared to be in the Air Force Rec area.
    The marina that you have marked is the one that I passed on the way down the peninsula to Cranes Mill. I wasn't sure if there was a place to anchor or operate out of.

We can definitely get together next year. It is rare to find someone that can ride during the week.
    Glad you enjoyed Canyon! Me and a group of others are riding there this Saturday

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post

You sure? there is nothing by that beach at all. the JBSA has a badass beach too, but it IS military only.
    For sure man, cant wait. i did some cleaning on the skis and got them covered, still need to fill the tanks, sta-bil them and fog the engines.

+1
    Seems crazy to winterize this early, but it got cold and has stayed cold for dang nearly three weeks in DFW. Much cooler than normal down there as well. I put my skis up this week as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information