Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Silicone spray question

Does anyone on here use liquid wrench silicone spray on their engine after riding in saltwater? I normally use yamilube but I didn’t have it with me. The liquid wrench says it has “high dielectric characteristics” so I figured it was safe to use and now I’m reading in the fine print and it says keep away from hot surfaces, spark, and electrical current.. seems kind of dumb if it says “high dielectric characteristics” but then again so does spraying shit on your engine without reading everything on it. I’m guessing spraying the engine down with degreaser and washing it out good is in order.

+1
    Is the context of silicone on hot surfaces regarding possible health issue - aka harmful vapors, etc.... ?
    FWIW, I stopped using petroleum-based and silicone-based products since discovering FluidFilm (lanolin-based) as it seems to be safe on everything. Pretty much keep my engine (and other moving parts) liberally coated in it 24/7. No issues with hot surfaces. The FF FAQ says the flashpoint is 405F - and nothing in the ski comes anywhere close to that. I would not get FF near open-contact switches or breakers (once again, no issue on the ski as all is sealed electronics).

+1
    Fluid film is what you want. Silicone spray has its place in certain applications but I’ve never had it work well as a protectant around salt water.

Check out the write up watercraft superstore did last year on different Protectant sprays, as well as the YouTube channel “Project farm” where he did a head to head with multiple products. In both situations fluid film came out working the best. Although it stinks to holy hell.

+1
    Thanks for the replies guys I ordered some fluid film earlier today I’ve only heard great things about it my real question now is should I be worried about the current silicone spray on it? I was very liberal with it since I’ve never used that brand before but with it being flammable I’m wondering if I should just spend an hour after work cleaning it out with some degreaser and a light hose down.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Is the context of silicone on hot surfaces regarding possible health issue - aka harmful vapors, etc.... ?
    FWIW, I stopped using petroleum-based and silicone-based products since discovering FluidFilm (lanolin-based) as it seems to be safe on everything. Pretty much keep my engine (and other moving parts) liberally coated in it 24/7. No issues with hot surfaces. The FF FAQ says the flashpoint is 405F - and nothing in the ski comes anywhere close to that. I would not get FF near open-contact switches or breakers (once again, no issue on the ski as all is sealed electronics).
    Just looked up the flash point on this liquid wrench silicone spray.. 125*.. yeah getting that crap out ASAP thanks for the tips

+1
    I use fluid film in the pump area and lanox in the engine bay. IMO, fluid film is too goopy for the engine bay.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...50#post2962750

+1
    Silicone is all I use. The engine in our 2013 Yamaha FZS looked factory fresh the day I traded it in five years later.

+1
    Hundreds of hrs with silicone......no rust , no problems...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntersGprsvho View Post
    Just looked up the flash point on this liquid wrench silicone spray.. 125*.. yeah getting that crap out ASAP thanks for the tips
    I don't think your situation is all that dire. I'm willing to bet that value largely encompasses the propellant/solvent - aka you wouldn't not want to freshly apply it to something that hot. The mfr needs to CYA that point. Hence, once these evaporate, the left-over silicone is what remains and is not volatile. You can just FF right over it and be fine.

Speaking of solvents... this is one of the advantages of using FF, it virtually uses none, as many of the solvents in other products can do harm to non-metal components, like hoses, plastics, etc...
    So, if anything, FF has helped to keep such software (rubber & plastics) well hydrated/protected too. In fact, spray some on your paint-job and buff with a micro fiber cloth - to help combat hard water mineral deposits

+1
    You’re fine leaving the silicone in place, don’t worry too much about it. And yes the Fluid film can get hoppy but what I like about it is the fact that water will rinse it off pretty well. So every few rides I rinse and dry and reapply. It doesn’t goop and stay forever. Again, besides the smell of dead sheep it works excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information