Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what an interesting day on the water

well went out with a few friends today up the east river in NYC, and my buddy with a 2017 gtr, 90 hours on the machine blew his carbon seal, towed it back as fast as possible, got it back on the trailer check the engine oil and were we suprised there was NO water in the oil, but now it had everyone on edge with our seadoos , how and when can you check to see if the carbon seal is going back? and what are some signs to listen for or look for, this is my first brand new seadoo i have the 18 rxtx and i want to be ahead of the game, im at 41 hours right now..how can you avoid this from happening all together and dont say buy a yamaha lol

thank you in advance

Banned User
    +1
    I personally remove my jet housing and drive shaft every 2 years to inspect seals, carbon ring and the Alignment... The engine mounts can come loose over time, miss align the driveshaft and make your carbon ring fail prematurely.

+1
    Two biggest things that will kill the ring are running out of the water too long or alignment issue Iíve never had a single issue right out of the gate align the motor and donít run out of the water too long to where it produces to much heat.

Most cases of failure are revving to the moon on the trailer and running for several mins. Out of the newer skis Iíve aligned I see a slight side to side misalignment out of the factory so itís good to get that set!

4. +1 by:

+1
    Overheated running on the hose. The metal top hat gets too hot to touch at 2 min on the hose.

Engine misalignment will wear it quicker, but shouldn't cause an all out failure.

No reason carbon seal can't last the lifetime of the ski if it doesn't get damaged.

Banned User
    +1
    When aligning, how much play are you seeing back and forward on the driveshaft with the bellow removed and jet housing installed?

+1
    i see ppl at the ramp start their ski all the time to blow water out, its pointless if your just going to flush it on the hose later, just to hear your "cool" exhaust, stoppppp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jackywacky067 View Post
    When aligning, how much play are you seeing back and forward on the driveshaft with the bellow removed and jet housing installed?

You need to mark the alignment shaft at two points, as per manual, and those markings indicate the acceptable window. This window is 3 mm

+1
    Make sure you have insurance and a factory warranty on the ski at all times. When my '17 RXT-260 sunk BRP balked until I got my insurance company involved.

+1
    Install 2x1000gph bilge pumps. Will give u some time to reach the rump..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hemikidd View Post
    well went out with a few friends today up the east river in NYC, and my buddy with a 2017 gtr, 90 hours on the machine blew his carbon seal, towed it back as fast as possible, got it back on the trailer check the engine oil and were we suprised there was NO water in the oil, but now it had everyone on edge with our seadoos , how and when can you check to see if the carbon seal is going back? and what are some signs to listen for or look for, this is my first brand new seadoo i have the 18 rxtx and i want to be ahead of the game, im at 41 hours right now..how can you avoid this from happening all together and dont say buy a yamaha lol

thank you in advance
    So just curious, was it the seal or did the clip come off?. I also have a '17 GTR 230 and at 62 hrs the c-clip popped off the shaft and took on water. Clip showed signs of wear(had a groove on it). Put a new clip on, rode all day and popped off again. Luckily bilge kept up both times to get back to ramp. Ended up replacing shaft,bellow, carbon seal, hat and clip. Carbon seal had little to no signs of wear. Wondering if the new taller hats are putting too much pressure on the c-clips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information