Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Removing intake grate heat the bolt head or the bracket?

So I need to remove the intake grate and reseal it, do I use a small blowtorch to heat the bracket inside the hull? Or the bolt head under the grate? After 10 years and a lot of salt I am expecting a fight....
    any other tips?
    Last edited by HDAV; 10-01-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Bracket to break the epoxy holding it. Then with the bolts in, tap the bolts with a dead blow hammer

+1
    I have a normal hammer and can give the bolts a tap....

hoping to make a start tonight and get intake off if I can.

+1
    Grate came off really easily the bolts look like they have never been out the loctite did its job! So now just need to get the bracket out and cleaned up ready for repealing havpd a little try and it seems pretty well stuck despite leaking half the glob of stuff they put over the top has come off but the bracket won’t budge? Access isn’t the easiest do I get some thing under it and try and lever it? Pry bar ? Put the bolts back in and hammer at them? Don’t want to damage the threads....

Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Grate came off really easily the bolts look like they have never been out the loctite did its job! So now just need to get the bracket out and cleaned up ready for repealing havpd a little try and it seems pretty well stuck despite leaking half the glob of stuff they put over the top has come off but the bracket wonít budge? Access isnít the easiest do I get some thing under it and try and lever it? Pry bar ? Put the bolts back in and hammer at them? Donít want to damage the threads....
    Donít pry it. You could pull up fiberglass with it. Take a heat gun to the globs until they start bubbling and smoking then hammer at the bolts.

+1
    Thanks that was my concern, only have a small blow torch naked flame type might have to go an buy an electric heat gun...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    uhhhh...you MUST use ONLY an electric heat gun on this job.

Electric heat gun until the epoxy starts to fizz that's holding the mounts down then it will peel off quite easy

+1
    Invested in a heat gun and it came off pretty easily, cleaned most of the old sealant out.

the area that the threads are in where the recess is was jammed with crusty salt like substance I have scraped most of it out, hoping this is the source of my water in the hull....it was really crusty on the side of the bracket nearest the tunnel so, it’s been like it for a while........

whats the thick gloop that gets put over the tope of the bracket? And how do I reassemble? Seal in bracket and bolt grate straight on? Or let bracket cure first?

should I add sealant p to the grate or rely on the sealer inside the hull?

Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Invested in a heat gun and it came off pretty easily, cleaned most of the old sealant out.

the area that the threads are in where the recess is was jammed with crusty salt like substance I have scraped most of it out, hoping this is the source of my water in the hull....it was really crusty on the side of the bracket nearest the tunnel so, it’s been like it for a while........

whats the thick gloop that gets put over the tope of the bracket? And how do I reassemble? Seal in bracket and bolt grate straight on? Or let bracket cure first?

should I add sealant p to the grate or rely on the sealer inside the hull?
    That gloop from the factory is some sort of epoxy, all's you need to do to re seal your brackets is use 3m 5200 below waterline sealant around the bolt areas of the bracket , don't be shy with it and you won't get any water in your hull again. Once you have sealed them in just bolt the grate up to it only lightly until the sealant is cured then take the grate off put sealant around the bolt holes on the grate and other surfaces it mates with the hull then fasten the grate up to it to the required torque for each bolt and don't forget to use thread lock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information