Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

+1
    Myself what caused the gas to fill the crank?

+1
    Well, if the diaphragm ruptures in the fuel pump the fuel can easily pass straight to the pulse side, down the pulse tube, and into the crankcase. Check the pump first cause it's easier. Just unhook the fuel supply line and pulse. Blow into the supply and see if fuel comes out of the pulse fitting. The other thing that causes it is when a rubber tip breaks off a needle valve in a carb.

+1
    Since your ski is oil injected your crankcase filling with raw fuel has now rinsed every bit of lubrication from the crank and rod bearings, (bottom and wrist pin). Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but I would spray some fogging oil in once you get the excess fuel out, just to give it some lube until the injection catches up.

+1
    Thanks Myself, that is what I was guessing, the ski ran great (although I thought it was running a little rich) before it was left for 2 weeks, I am thinking that a ruptured diaphragm is not the root cause unless it somehow ruptured after it was parked....not likely I suppose, which means there is a defective needle/seat. When I get it started I should see one plug fouling with excess gas? Or perhaps a very poor idle??

+1
    Mockingee, I agree, there will be no oil film anywhere as the engine has literally been converted temporarily to a 3 piston gasoline pump.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterpest View Post
    Mockingee, I agree, there will be no oil film anywhere as the engine has literally been converted temporarily to a 3 piston gasoline pump.
    I would suggest also dribbling a little 2-stroke oil into the spark plug holes and some more down each of the carb throats to provide an initial supply of oil to the crank bearings and piston rings/cylinder walls.

Consider adding some oil to the fuel tank too. Maybe 50:1 ratio or thereabouts.

Some liquid fuel may have worked itself past the crankshaft seals, so consider the possibility there is fuel inside the flywheel housing or in between the rear crank seal pair (the Fuji engine has dual rear crank seals, correct?)

+1
    "Some liquid fuel may have worked itself past the crankshaft seals, so consider the possibility there is fuel inside the flywheel housing or in between the rear crank seal pair (the Fuji engine has dual rear crank seals, correct?)"

Ok, well this is getting worse....Do I NEED to remove the flywheel cover to inspect, or can I look through the top plastic plug? If the crankcase is full and the mag seal has been compromised I would think that the flywheel/Mag would be immersed and I would definitely see gas in there when removing the top plug? Not sure what the ramifications are if fuel got in between the 2 rear seals?? (Yes there are 2 rear seals)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	102 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	440166  

+1
    Just think about this, I am looking for Winter tires for my Truck and still working on my 2 skis at the lake...Canada eh...lol

+1
    I would think if you take the plug out of the flywheel cover and turn the engine a bit you should be able to tell if there's fuel in there. If there's only a bit I would think the flywheel would be wet on the bottom.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Good point...will be back to the lake this weekend, I will keep you all informed of my findings. Thanks all for your input!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information