Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Kawasaki Ultra LX Running Hot Thread 2015

I have searched on this site and others. But am still having issues tracking down where a blockage or issue may be.
    I have a pair of 2015 Ultras with only 9 hours on each.
    One is perfect, no issues whatsoever.
    The other one is 99% fine but here is what is happening.

On the hose it is perfectly fine, water temp goes from 92-100 depending on the day but never much higher than that while running on the hose. Good flow from pisser. Seems almost identical to other ski, may run just a little bit hotter by a few degrees, but not much.
    On the water while going at least 8MPH it is also perfectly fine, good pisser flow and temp stays around 91.
    Once i come back down to idle the pisser will start to stop flowing, then flow a little. then stop, then puffs of steam only with a random spout of water and temp will climb up pretty quickly. I haven't let it get to limp mode but it would if i didn't start driving again. Other ski can sit at idle fine and pisser flows fine and temp stays on 91.

I have blown and flushed out the pisser line itself, it seems fine, one the hose i pulled the line off the manifold and it came out of there strong as well. Doesn't seem to be there being an issue. I cleaned that fitting a bunch in case but didn't get much of anything out of it.
    I cleaned a few other fittings that i could get to that seemed like they may be contributing, but never seems to be much of a blockage.
    I have flushed a ton with salt away, and no change.

Like i said its only at idle while on the water. It performs fine otherwise. Great acceleration, decent top speed. (53 in choppy water with my heavy self on it) other one gets about 55 with my much lighter wife on it so they seem really comparable except this issue.

What other parts can i get to to try to clean, or what should my next move be?

Everyone else with a similar issue seems to have it poor flow at all times, not just idle, and they clean the pisser line and are good. It really does not seem to be that. I tried every thread i could find on every corner of the internet. I just cant understand what the difference between on the hose at idle and on the water at idle? Where does it pickup water for cooling on the water that could be blocked just enough to effect idle but not over 8mph. Next move is to just take it to a shop, but i have never owned a PWC and really am not sure who to trust for this! In Jacksonville Florida if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you for your time. Sorry if the question is dumb, check my name.

+1
    Welcome aboard, newbie!

Have you checked the jet pump for blockage of the strainer? There is a rectangular piece on top of the pump with 2 hoses coming out, (http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....)%20JET%20PUMP, part # 14091) that may have debris in it.

That's where I'd start, then work my way through the system.

I tried to get to those hoses and clean them out the other day, but just couldn't really get in there well enough to get the hose off or really fit my arms in there to get to the bolts on the rectangle.
    What's the easiest way to get to that without removing the bottom plate and dropping it all down? Or is that not as hard as it looks?
    I'm fairly technical and have done a good amount of mechanical work on cars, just never on a boat or jet ski.
    So that is where it sucks up water when it is in the water itself? I had a hard time following the cooling flow and had a hard tike understanding why a blockage in X place would effect the flow only at idle.
    I'll try to get to that again this weekend and see if i can figure it out! If i pull the rectangle off with those two bolts, is there any gasket or anything i need to be worried about or replace when putting it back on?
    Thank you for your time.

Deleted - Double Post
    Last edited by newbie123; 09-29-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Deleted - Double Post

+1
    There is an O-ring that may be very difficult to get back in because it may swell with age (mine did).

At blockage there would reduce flow at all speeds, but it may not be noticeable at the pisser when you're going fast.

Well, after lots of exploring and fitting my arms into places i didn't think they would fit. I got that rectangle piece off the pump and it seemed cleaned. Took the whole thing off and rinsed it and also was able to fish a soft bristle long brush through the lines into the hull and nothing really significant was in there at all.
    I started to just work my way through every hose and fitting i could. Here is a screen shot of a diagram i found.
    https://imgur.com/a/fKT9PIj

Everything i marked red i got to and cleaned out, but never saw much of anything EXCEPT for the one fitting that goes from the pump to the bottom side of the output cover. That had some salt/calcium deposits on it, but not sure if it was significant. It was hard to tell exactly what i was able to remove at that angle. But when i stuck a metal bristle brush in there it came out with a good bit of sale/calcium deposit on it, I kept spraying it and fishing the brush in and out until it came out clean. Not sure how much came out or if it was something significant but who knows.
    Everywhere else seemed clean. spray saltaway/vinegar into every line and fitting i could and flushed everything again. I even used some compressed air and my own lungs to blow out of some lines to see if i could feel it coming out of the pisser line, i always could feel it coming out fine and didnt have much issue.
    I didn't get to the lines at the cooling bar, or the oil cooler. But i blew into the lines closest to both of them and felt air from the pisser.
    Going to take it on the water tomorrow and see how it does. Not sure what else to try?
    Unless the oil cooler or cooling bar is clogged up and my lungs pushing air through with very little resistance isn't a good enough test of them? That may be a little too much for me to mess with and may have to take it somewhere.

Will report back. Thanks again.

+1
    There's a nipple coming off the first water box with a cooling hose attached. That nipple has a very small hole that can get clogged and cause overheating. Check that if you haven't already done so.

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post
    There's a nipple coming off the first water box with a cooling hose attached. That nipple has a very small hole that can get clogged and cause overheating. Check that if you haven't already done so.

-Greg
    Not sure exactly where you mean. Is it one of the ones I have highlighted in the pic above? I thought I got to everything but the ones at the cooling bar and oil cooler.

Well today didnít do much better today. Same kind of results.
    Started it off the trailer and cruised a couple minutes and stopped and it seemed fine. But after a few minutes it happened again.
    fine once I get 2500 rpms and move more than oh itís perfectly fine. But once I sit at idle it stops and starts and eventually just puffs out steam and the temp climbs.
    also if I shut it off and hang out for a few minutes and put the key back in itís uo to 120, while the other ski in the same situation only got up to 95 from sitting the same amount of time.
    once you pull off and get it under load it cools down very quick.

not sure what else to try..... hate to take it to a shop and have them be as stumped as me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie123 View Post
    Not sure exactly where you mean. Is it one of the ones I have highlighted in the pic above? I thought I got to everything but the ones at the cooling bar and oil cooler.
    The two brass fittings labeled "1" have small holes that can get clogged.

-Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawi 15F Cooling.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	440110  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information