+1

Anything wrong with leaving batteries in boat during storage?

I usually remove and put on a charger...anything wrong with just leaving them hooked up and in the machine?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What kind of batteries?
    Sealed AGM or traditional lead-acid?

I do not have specifics on the parasitic power drain while the Yamaha ski is just sitting. At the least I would suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery post.

Traditional lead-acid batteries suffer from self-discharge, where even a disconnected battery will run itself down over a few months. Discharged batteries are at risk of freeze damage and internal degradation. So those should be brought indoors and kept charged during storage.

AGM battery is also happiest when also kept indoors and maintained at a proper float voltage on an AGM compatible maintainer/charger.

If the AGM battery is left in the ski, disconnect the negative cable and make sure the AGM battery is properly and fully charged prior to putting the ski away.

AGM batteries require a specific voltage from the charger to reach a proper 100% level, this voltage is slightly different from the old-school lead-acid batteries. A 'normal' battery charger that is not specifically AGM compatible may show 'full' even though the AGM battery is not actually properly charged.

+1
    I learned to disconnect the neg battery cable while owning a Seadoo as their security system is a parasitic draw, so that's just what I do with all my watercraft now, and keep them on a float charger. I also keep my bike on a float charger but keep the cables attached, you know, so when the urge hits you you're ready to rock n roll!

+1
    I have never unhooked my cables...I ride in the winter....I do have an AGM compatible trickle charger that I attach to one ski at a time.( AGM battery)....If you do not use an AGM compatible charger with AGM batteries the battery will cook because the charger will never see its cut off voltage.

+1
    I've had damage from an overcharged battery because it overcharged the battery and boiled out all of the acid (years ago, before sealed AGM batteries). This was on a Yamaha boat. The vent hose was run outside the hull and dumped the acid on the hinge for the rear access hatch. Of course, a replacement hinge from Yamaha did NOT fit, so I had to find a two foot stainless piano hinge and cut both sides lengthwise to make it fit.

The best way to use a battery charger is to plug it into a timer and let it run 15 minutes per day. I did this on my Ultra 150 and got NINE YEARS out of the original battery.

+1
    Great idea on the timer Steve.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

The best way to use a battery charger is to plug it into a timer and let it run 15 minutes per day. I did this on my Ultra 150 and got NINE YEARS out of the original battery.
    I would not keep a PWC battery in service more than 4 or 5 years, if that. When I am out on the water I want to battery to work, every time. I want to know the battery is healthy, has plenty of Amp-Hour reserve power, and is highly unlikely to ‘go bad’ unexpectedly.

Seeing how long the old battery ‘lasts’ is an experiment I am not interested in, especially for PWC use. I would rotate the still-good used battery out of the watercraft after a few years and perhaps use it on a land vehicle.

A top grade AGM watercraft battery is not expensive compared to everything else involved in PWC riding, but especially fuel costs. Two or three tanks of fuel cost about what the battery costs, over a summer the cost of a new battery is not a big percentage.

Buy a new battery every 3 or 4 years - always having a trustworthy battery installed is well worth the price.

Many guys with PWC also have other equipment that can use the same size battery, so the old PWC battery is not ‘wasted’. It just cannot strand you on the water somewhere, should it one day ‘go bad’.

+1
    Don’t think I ever had one that lasted that long . I feel lucky if I get 3.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    Don’t think I ever had one that lasted that long . I feel lucky if I get 3.
    Ditto. Same with my motorcycles, with the exception of my Interceptor that I sold last year, it had a Shorai lithium in it. That battery was awesome, used and abused it, complete discharge, fast charge, no special charger, etc. the thing just would'nt quit!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    I usually remove and put on a charger...anything wrong with just leaving them hooked up and in the machine?
    seadoo say no

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D88A17F-AF5A-443B-AE91-6BC33B0F8E55.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	440703  

Thread Information