Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

removing GTX 4tec driveshaft

I'm having a really bitch of a time trying to remove the driveshaft in my GTX. I read the shop manual from top to bottom and still cant figure out how to get this shaft out. I managed to slide the float ring apart and get the circlip out, but im getting stuck beyond that. if im reading correctly once you remove the circlip the shaft should pull right out correct? Is there something else I need to do? I tried pulling for an hour and still having managed to get the shaft out even a little bit even though the circlip is removed

+1
    Try tugging on the driveshaft and tapping the hat with a hammer. Your going to need an extra set of hands.

+1
    Also spray with a penetrating oil and smooth down as much rust as possible if present.

there hasnt been any rust on it at all. What do you mean tap on the hat, what is the hat? it doesnt help that everything inside the hull is covered in motor oil.

+1
    If its springing back and forth it might be stuck on the PTO seal/bearing at the rear of the motor where the shaft goes in. Grab tight and yank it hard. Being an '04 the seal might need replacing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRD View Post
    If its springing back and forth it might be stuck on the PTO seal/bearing at the rear of the motor where the shaft goes in. Grab tight and yank it hard. Being an '04 the seal might need replacing anyway.
    im not entirly sure what the PTO\Seal bearing is. at this point im just trying to get the shaft out so I can pull the motor Saturday. it almost seems like everytime I pull the float ring slide all the way up the other part and at that point I cant get it to move any farther. no matter how hard i pull on the shaft. I will try to upload pictures tomm. I'm really eager to start tearing into this motor I really want to find what spewed all my oil out

+1
    Its the other rubber boot at the rear of the motor where the driveshaft goes in. There is a seal and bearing in it. Could even be your oil leak.

+1
    Put some vise grips on it. Then jerk back and forth. If that won't work then I put a chain or pull strap on it and use a pry bar on the back of the ski and pry it out.

put a 2x4 across the back of the ski, wrap a ratchet strap around the drive shaft many times, then loop around the 2x4 and start ratcheting the strap to pull the shaft out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4tec Hoarder View Post
    put a 2x4 across the back of the ski, wrap a ratchet strap around the drive shaft many times, then loop around the 2x4 and start ratcheting the strap to pull the shaft out.
    I see where you are going with the ratchet strap but you lost me as to getting a ratchet strap to stay put on a round part doesnt it just slide off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information