Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fxsho charging voltage on clock

Hi there

i have a Yamaha fxsho 2009, and I am just wondering what should the voltage show on screen when running?. According to Yamaha manual around 12volts is good and anything lower shows as low voltage and above 15 as high!, taught maybe it should show 14volts?? As charging battery.
    Mine shows 12.6-12.8, sometimes 13 volts.

thanks in advance

Alan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch007 View Post
    Hi there

i have a Yamaha fxsho 2009, and I am just wondering what should the voltage show on screen when running?. According to Yamaha manual around 12volts is good and anything lower shows as low voltage and above 15 as high!, taught maybe it should show 14volts?? As charging battery.

thanks in advance

Alan

Without motor running i see 12.6 ish under 12 can have starting issues but running I see 13-14v depending on rpm what does it show not running and how old is battery?

+1
    There are a few factors here...
    1st, the clocks volt readout isn't going to be best evaluation of actual battery voltage, rather harness-voltage levels, because the circuit is testing within the harness and "sees" the voltage-drop of the loads on said harness. Better to get a calibrated meter on the batt terminals. A healthy lead-acid should be at or above 12.8v.

Next is the Regulator Rectifier itself. Yamaha uses the classic and popular SCR-based regs, yet are not as efficient as the MOSFET-based ones. SCR regs have "loose" voltage-reference circuitry, often predicated on the present health/state of the connected battery can often sway the charge voltage. If I see a running charge level hovering around 13.1-13.5 I can pretty much tell already the vehicle has an SCR reg - normal. Contrast with the again MOSFET regs, improved internal voltage reference sensing, these are more likely going to offer that 14.4v level you'd expect.

+1
    Hi there

thanks in advance

Alan
    Mine shows 14.1/14.2v I clock when running. Just as a reference for you. Drops down slowly when dash on butt engine off settling at about 12.7

2When it’s idling it’s at 12.6 and when it hits about 3k revs it’ll go up to 12.8-13, put on a different reg and same, I am thinking it’s ok, spent 2 hrs on water and it remained pretty much the same, I was just wondering if that’s normal?? Voltage readings on screen after the 2 hrs where probably a little lower but not by much ie 12.5 idle and revs up to 12.8!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    2When itís idling itís at 12.6 and when it hits about 3k revs itíll go up to 12.8-13, put on a different reg and same, I am thinking itís ok,

spent 2 hrs on water and it remained pretty much the same, I was just wondering if thatís normal??

Voltage readings on screen after the 2 hrs where probably a little lower but not by much ie 12.5 idle and revs up to 12.8!!
    Are these the dash voltage numbers or measured using a proper digital voltmeter?

Actual battery voltage, measured with a good meter, must be above 13.5 volts to be actually charging the battery. Typical charging system voltage with engine running is 13.5 to 14.5 volts, give or take.

My own Yamaha GP1800 shows 14.x volts on the dash with engine running, even at/near idle. It only takes a few seconds to level up to show 14.x volts and then the voltage basically stays there while riding and idling.

If your actual measured battery voltages with engine running above idle are not above 13.5 volts I would suggest something is not right.

Yea that’s what I am thinking alright, as mine is 2009 I was wondering if it’s a general gauge reading and not an actualreal time voltage reading, I’ll bang a proper voltmeter on it and get back.

Meant to say it is a new Gel battery and I put voltametre on it and it’s same as what’s on clock, 12.6 to 12.8-13 when revs are up, I have a new voltage reg and to reads the same!! So not sure what to do next?. Any suggestions welcome. Tks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Meant to say it is a new Gel battery and I put voltametre on it and itís same as whatís on clock, 12.6 to 12.8-13 when revs are up, I have a new voltage reg and to reads the same!!

So not sure what to do next?. Any suggestions welcome. Tks
    Check the ground connection to the engine block for the voltage regulator module. If the rectifier/regulator module has a poor ground it will not generate battery charge voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check the ground connection to the engine block for the voltage regulator module. If the rectifier/regulator module has a poor ground it will not generate battery charge voltage.

Cheers, Ill have a look at that and let you know. Thanks again 👍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information