+1

Unhappy Why you don't sell ski's to neigbours.

I had a 650 SX Standup for years, kids used it, was a great, reliable machine.
    Kids grew up, had my 800SXR and the 650 was not being used as much.

Well, my neigbour was looking for a standup. And he asked if he could buy my 650. I sold it to him and explained it's care and feeding and maintence.

Well, it turned into a sad situation. Right after they bought it, they let it slip of the shore ancor rope and it bashed against the breakwall scratcing it all up and smashing the trim around the fuel door. ( Happend to see it on thier dock all banged up and asked what happened).

Then it gets worse. He comes over last night. says "It sank"
    I asked how, and answer was just sank at ancor. (Which i deduced it got rough and they did not remember the ski was in the water so it swamped)

Said they found it nose down with only the tip of the rear out of the water. They pulled it in, pumped the water out (no drain plugs on a 650) and then let it sit for 2 weeks.

So it sat for 2 weeks, engine most likley full of water and now a rusted mass probably.

Then he said, "Can you check it out" (I will) but Im sure it a pile of scrap now.

Sad, that in 1 season it went for a beatiful 650 SX to a beatup pile and now a probably toasted engine. Poor ski

I'll update with engines condition, but I doubt its going to be good.

+1
    If the engine is totally full of freshwater, it will be ok. I've done several this season, an 1100zxi sat full for a month!! I believe it's harder to form rust if the metal is completely submerged. The water I pumped out of the zxi was just barely rust tinted. I'm certain the overall life span is shortened but it will run. Don't forget to open stator cover and ebox too.

+1
    Yes, air & water is a lot worse than just water. If a little rust starts to form on the crank bearings, it can come back later and cause problems. 10 hours, 40 hours, who knows?

Just look the crank (and wrist pin) bearings over very closely.

+1
    Willing to bet even I it’s ok, this won’t be the first time this will happen

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    If the engine is totally full of freshwater, it will be ok. I've done several this season, an 1100zxi sat full for a month!! I believe it's harder to form rust if the metal is completely submerged. The water I pumped out of the zxi was just barely rust tinted. I'm certain the overall life span is shortened but it will run. Don't forget to open stator cover and ebox too.
    I agree. Oxygen is what causes rust (oxidation), water is just a catalyst.

Chester

+1
    Well, finally got the ski. Hull was dry, they pumped it out. But engine (luckly I think) was completly full of water. No drain thingy, that was bypassed years ago after it failed.
    Pulled the plugs, turned crank by hand and water came out. Clear water. Gave it a few more turns and it stopped flowing. Remove the pulse connection and let the rest drain out.
    Then checked the magneto and it was nice and dry and so was the ignition and starter box inside.
    Added a battery and taped the starter and it sprayed out a lot of water. Taped it a few more times, and more water.
    Then let it spin and it blew more water out.
    Once it stopped being a fountian, I added some marine storage seal lube via the carb and cylinder and spun it over a few times to expell the lube and water bits.
    Lather, rinse repeat seems to fit!
    Took off the intake to check for crank rust, looked good, and the con rod bearings looks shiney. Reeds were ok. Sprayed some more marine seal lube on the crank
    Check the compression was at 160 psi both cylinders.
    Cleaned the bit of water out of the pulse line and the water seperator.
    Found a bad spark plug, the threads on the top terminal were stripped, replaced and all good
    This is a primer ski so I put the plugs in, primed it (also it a premix machine) and it coughed a bit but after a little coaxing it fired up and belched out all the water sitting in the exhaust and ran fine!
    Put it on the hose and let it run and it idled great and reved just fine.
    Cut the water back to get the block hotter, and no issues.
    As it was running, sprayed marine seal into the carb and proceeded to fog up the neigbourhood with smoke (a good thing getting everything nice and lubed.)
    Pulled the plugs and checked, nice and dry now, fires right up. Revs like it should.

Now cause of the sinking was found, the main coolant hose to the exhaust manifold had chafed though (its original) and cause a leak that sank the ski. It was touching the motor mount and it just wore away from age. Replaced.

Returned it and they rode it for and hour with no issues! Now time to winterize and put it away until spring (with a good does of storage seal to prevent any possible rust)

The 650 is one tough engine!

+1
    Yay!

+1
    Glad to see this turned out well. I share your 'don't sell skis to neighbors' policy.

As a general rule I try to not sell skis to people I know as I then feel responsible to help if something goes wrong. I also won't do work for people in the neighborhood as I then will be connected to the repair forever, but instead I send them to a local reputable shop. (I also don't have enough time for my own projects v working on something for others.)

-Greg

9. +1 by:

+1
    I have my 'lake neighbor's' Ultra 150 at my house right now for carb overhaul. He left it with a marine mechanic for about 9 months and the guy never got to it (that's probably a good thing). I told him that I would help him fix it. Still waiting for parts. Also going to do some upgrades like triple pisser, bilge pump, etc.

Otherwise, I agree. When I've sold used 'Skis, I tell people that it runs well when they pick it up, but that they require periodic maintenance and repair--and I don't have time or desire to do it.

Thread Information