+1

Rebuilt Polaris MSX140 shake-down - bilge siphon

One thing I wanted to check while I've got the ski in the swimming pool is the bilge siphon system: now checked.

My test involved putting the two suction lines in a jug of water and observing whether the water was sucked up, or not. To cut a long story short, one suction line worked and the other didn't. I (re-)cleaned the gauze of the one which didn't work, but that made no difference, so I'll have to investigate further. (With the benefit of hindsight, as I had an air compressor nearby, I should have blown through the ineffective line.)

I further observed that the suction line which worked became effective at about 1500rpm and at about 2000rpm the rate of water extraction was 'significant'. (The ski was tethered.) Below 1500rpm, water was drawn up the suction tube, but didn't reach the nylon elbow.

I suspect there's a blockage somewhere in the ineffective suction line, but in any event I plan to follow it up.

Based on my observation, properly maintained, the standard MSX140 bilge siphon system seems to have the potential to be reasonably effective.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    At the jet pump nozzle the factory configuration is just a nylon zip tie around each rubber hose where it connects to the suction tubes. Make sure the hoses are snug on the tube ends. Consider upgrading to proper hose clamps.

The siphon hoses run from the pump nozzle forward to nipple on the pump base plate. Those pass through the transom plate into the hull. Some of the pass-through nipples are plastic and I think older model years used metal fittings

Normally they don’t give much trouble but it is possible for a fitting to crack. A basic pressure test and flow test with very low PSI and some soap spray should reveal leaks or blockages.

The plastic elbows have a factory pin hole on purpose. That breather hole is a siphon break and must not be blocked or clogged. It prevents siphon back flow when the engine is off and the hull is floating.

+1
    Thank you, K447. I did obvious visual checks during the rebuild and replaced the zip ties when I re-fitted the jet nozzle, but I may not have observed a crack, especially in the through-hull area, so I'll test as you suggest and see if I can locate the issue. I will also double-check the breather holes while I'm about it.

I recall that you fitted an electric bilge pump to an MSX140. As much as that additional safeguard, I liked the concept of the starter interlock which was incorporated in the modified power supply arrangement: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2416619 (post #4).

Thread Information