Glued to the water?

Hey Guys, i have a 2018 GP1800 with a Riva Stage 1 + kit installed, running the 91 octane tune (8100RMP) because in CA we can not get anything over 91 octane at the pump. i like the top speed i'm getting (81MPH) but i don't like getting beat up on the mild chop we have here in the marina when 40 other skis are mixing up the water. i'm looking at the Solas Dual 12/18 Impeller, but i can not find any feed back on what results i should expect, is it going to keep me glued to the water? yes i understand i am going to be losing top speed, but i would rather accelerate like a rocket and cut through the chop then be bouncing everywhere and not get top speed anyway. let me know your thoughts?

*edit*
    using the Riva intake grate & Riva Ride plate.
    Last edited by Alex; 09-24-2018 at 03:59 PM.

+1
    I would think an intake grate would help more than a new prop.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Hey Guys, i have a 2018 GP1800 with a Riva Stage 1 + kit installed, running the 91 octane tune (8100RMP) because in CA we can not get anything over 91 octane at the pump. i like the top speed i'm getting (81MPH) but i don't like getting beat up on the mild chop we have here in the marina when 40 other skis are mixing up the water.

i'm looking at the Solas Dual 12/18 Impeller, but i can not find any feed back on what results i should expect, is it going to keep me glued to the water?

yes i understand i am going to be losing top speed, but i would rather accelerate like a rocket and cut through the chop then be bouncing everywhere and not get top speed anyway. let me know your thoughts?
    Sounds like you are looking for comfort at speed on boat chopped water. AND you want to accelerate hard despite the water texture.

I have GP1800 and frequently ride choppy water, and often rougher. I generally look for handling and rough water competance over top speed.

Trim full up tends to soften the ride in chop but the hull will bounce higher (out of the water) on solid waves. Trim full down tends to lock the bow into the water with much less bounce but it takes a little more engine power to maintain speed.

Of course if you go fast enough in rough water you will still get airborne from time to time.

I have the Worx extension for the RiDE trim motor arm, and I have the Dean's extended steering nozzle. Used together the handlebar trim control has noticably more effect. The extended steering nozzle also improves steering response and control.

This is the order I would suggest making changes

Longer ride plate. I use the Worx extended ride plate with Jim's cut modification, but without the speed washer 'spacers' installed. The Worx ride plate provides better hook up and ride quality on choppy water, better acceleration from idle (less bow rise and quickly gets on plane).

The Jim's cut adds better tracking in turns, and perhaps some top speed.

A good alternate would be the Riva ride plate. Not quite as long as the Worx but much better than stock.

Intake grate. The Riva intake grate seems to provide good results. I currently have the Worx intake grate as it was the only option last year when I was buying parts. I may change to the Riva for next year.

Solas impeller. I am running Stage 1 Plus Low Octane (91 octane) MaptunerX tune with 8000 limit (actually it is 8500 limiter in the tune but the impeller pitch keeps it to about 8000). I still have some cavitation out of the hole but once on plane it accelerates very well.

I am planning to add a Lucky 13 tail cone to the jet pump to address the cavitation. It might also improve grip on the water when re-entering after each wave lift.

Sponsons - I have yet to experiment with sponsons. Perhaps next year

I will mention that we ride standing up, with flexed legs, the majority of the time. Sitting down on a GP1800 in choppy water tends to be bouncy.

Sitting down in actual rough water is no fun at all.
    This reflects the size and weight of the GP1800 hull. It is a hot rod, big motor in a light weight hull.

When standing up at speed on chop the hull dances beneath my feet but my upper body and head remain fairly steady. Much easier on the spine but you have to develop some leg stamina to ride while standing for long periods.
    Last edited by K447; 10-01-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xkon View Post
    I would think an intake grate would help more than a new prop.
    Done got the Riva intake grate

K447 thank you for the input, i'm running the Riva rideplate & intake grate already, looked at the Lucky 13 but that more for fixing cavitation than staying hooked up (correct me if i'm wrong), i'll look into the extended steering nozzle.

Yup, i ride standing up constantly, in super man position for speed, trim full up when trying for top speed & trim down for dealing with chop or bounce, been riding for 20 years now, and don't plan on ever stopping.

i plan in the off season to get the transom bored out to 160mm from Deans team & re-seal the transom at the same time, if need be jump to the lucky 13 cone to control the cavatation in the hole shot.

Anyone have input or actually used the dual impeller?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    K447 thank you for the input, i'm running the Riva rideplate & intake grate already, looked at the Lucky 13 but that more for fixing cavitation than staying hooked up (correct me if i'm wrong), i'll look into the extended steering nozzle.

Yup, i ride standing up constantly, in super man position for speed, trim full up when trying for top speed & trim down for dealing with chop or bounce, been riding for 20 years now, and don't plan on ever stopping.

i plan in the off season to get the transom bored out to 160mm from Deans team & re-seal the transom at the same time, if need be jump to the lucky 13 cone to control the cavatation in the hole shot.

Anyone have input or actually used the dual impeller?
    Try the Worx extension piece for the trim motor. Not expensive (for a watercraft performance part).

You may have to adjust the trim rod length a turn or two to get the nozzle alignment back to perfect when in the ‘center’ trim position.

The extended steering nozzle price is also not too scary.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Since you already have the intake grate, I'd say next a Dean's closed course modded stock plate or worx plate will help with taming the rough water characteristics. The Riva plate is longer and better than stock and I run one but it really seems to me like it's better suited for calmer water. Gonna have my stock plate modded by dean. Twin prop will only really help you with holeshot cavitation it won't stop the rough ride when it's choppy. I could see the extended nozzle helping a little bit especially coupled with the trim extension but don't have any experience with it on this ski

+1
    Hey Guys, i have a 2018 GP1800 with a Riva Stage 1 + kit installed, running the 91 octane tune (8100RMP) because in CA we can not get anything over 91 octane at the pump. i like the top speed i'm getting (81MPH) but i don't like getting beat up on the mild chop we have here in the marina when 40 other skis are mixing up the water. i'm looking at the Solas Dual 12/18 Impeller, but i can not find any feed back on what results i should expect, is it going to keep me glued to the water? yes i understand i am going to be losing top speed, but i would rather accelerate like a rocket and cut through the chop then be bouncing everywhere and not get top speed anyway. let me know your thoughts?

*edit*
    using the Riva intake grate & Riva Ride plate.
    For rough water hookup the WORX ride plate is hard to beat. It's the longest out of all available plates

WORX Ride Plate for GP1800 and 2015+ VXR

Worx has created a ride plate that is more predictable on turn in, letting you enter the turn with more speed. It sets the ski up, keeps the back of...
    WR317 $334.00

Thread Information