Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water in hull

+1

Water in hull

After apparently not having the drain pugs completely snug I noticed water in the hull. This was an ocean ride so I opened the the plugs all the way and rinsed out the hull with fresh water ( fxho). I returned to the boat ramp to drain the the hull. I have since used an absorber to clean out the what I thought was all the water... no luck I noticed more water bottom of front of the hull three days later. What is the trick to getting all the water out of this thing. I have driven around looking for hills and the water never completely drains out!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    After apparently not having the drain pugs completely snug I noticed water in the hull. This was an ocean ride so I opened the the plugs all the way and rinsed out the hull with fresh water ( fxho). I returned to the boat ramp to drain the the hull. I have since used an absorber to clean out the what I thought was all the water... no luck I noticed more water bottom of front of the hull three days later. What is the trick to getting all the water out of this thing. I have driven around looking for hills and the water never completely drains out!
    back when I had a transom leak (now fixed) I used a wet/dry shop vac to suck the engine compartment dry. It is the only way I have found to get all of the water out. With the ski on the trailer, if you level out the ski, the water will pool between in front of the motor and the gas tank. Use the vac to suck it dry. It will also pool to either side of the pump tunnel, so suck it dry there too.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Those are the two spots it is pooling! What is keeping the hull from draining even on a steep incline?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Those are the two spots it is pooling!

What is keeping the hull from draining even on a steep incline?
    On the GP1800 (and I presume all the related model variations with the same hull) the rear drain plugs are not located at the very bottom of the hull interior. The drain holes are quite a bit higher than the lowest places the water can sit inside the rear.

Unless the hull is pointing at the moon there will be some water that simply will not drain out the back.

In addition, water under the engine can be retained in front of the mid-wall inside the hull. The mid-wall is glued to the liner inside the hull and some water can remain trapped forward of the mid-wall. Even a steep hull angle may not be enough to drain all the water from under the engine towards the rear.

I use a sponge to sop up the left over water but a wet vacuum would also work.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Those are the two spots it is pooling! What is keeping the hull from draining even on a steep incline?
    Like K447 wrote, the hull won't drain 100% no matter how much you tilt it. Just drain as much as you can and then vac the remainder. It does not take long to vac it dry.

Another thing you can do to increase the water drain through the plugs is drive up and stop on a steep hill. Then pull forward quickly, the momentum change will drive more water to the open plugs. You can also roll a little backward down a hill and then quickly pull forward and it will drive more water out of the plug holes. It won't get all of it out, so you will still need to vac it to get it all.

+1
    I purchased this FXHO (2018 ) last month, now 11 hours.

Took it out in the ocean today , 2 hours. Both drain plugs snug. No waves even close to over the top. Finished riding and inspect the hull....water pooling in the two standard locations. Very small amount but annoying. Where is it coming from?

I snugged up the main water intake clamps...what else can I do? Take it back to the dealer?
    Last edited by K447; 09-28-2018 at 05:53 PM.

+1
    I've been hunting a leak in my 2013 VXR. I tightened all the clamps and then run the pink RV antifreeze through the flushing hose to see if a hose leak and none. I tipped the front up and filled the back with water and had no rear leaks. To get mine dry, I raised the front to about a 30' angle for almost a day, using a shop vac to keep sucking the water out from the rear. With the ski finally bone dry, I floated it only for about 30 minutes and no water. Next was a few hundred yards at no more than 5mph. Back to shallow water and pulled the seat off. Saw about an ounce of water but it didn't come from anywhere in the same approximate level plane. Straight up from there was my flushing fitting. It was leaking. The spring loaded valve was stuck and letting a little water enter when the ski was running. If I would have put it on the trailer, the water may have moved and I could have missed where it was coming from. Your flush fitting should be in the rear storage compartment so it's probably not that. Sometimes leaks can be a pain. Take it a step at a time or back to the dealer.

+1
    I purchased this FXHO (2018 ) last month, now 11 hours.

Took it out in the ocean today , 2 hours. Both drain plugs snug. No waves even close to over the top. Finished riding and inspect the hull....water pooling in the two standard locations. Very small amount but annoying.
    It may be annoying, but not that unrealistic - even for a new craft. Should you check it in for service?? Peace of mind, etc... Ok, enjoy not riding it for weeks on end, and if that sacrifice is worth a chance at attaining a 100% dry hull, each their own perhaps - no judgement here.
    Yet if you're fixated on a dry hull, water can/will get in via the following :
    The coolant system - as pressures vary and can be quite high at times, one lose hose clamp can allow water to spray inside, yet only at WOT. Hence makes troubleshooting a chore.
    Next is the IB/Mid-shaft bearing unit. New, I'd say not so much, but as things age, this can let water in.
    Transom leak. Can happen. Would need to be unbolted and resealed.
    Cracked hull - anything is possible.
    Finally - ingestion via the intake hull vents - but you elude that not being the case here.

Hull water extraction - since this is salt water, I usually (yes I do also get a very small amount inside my hull too) add fresh water inside when back home on the driveway. Use a shop-vac. There are two engine "bumper" mounts along the lowest keel, so yes water can get dammed even if parked on an incline. I found the best approach to nose-up the craft, then shop-vac the front engine, rear engine, then the aft battery area (in that order). A day or two I "might" see additional water in the deepest recesses, and for that, I take a dry towel and lay it partial in AND out of the wet area, because this will "wick" the residual water into the air for a completely dry hull.

+1
    You mention after your drain plug leak and rinsing, you still had a small amount of water in the two standard locations after the next ride. This could be just some residual water caught in between the hull and inner liner finding it's way out. It was a pain to get mine completely dry after I filled up the rear checking for leaks. As mentioned by others, I tipped it up and used a shop vac. Nose down for a while then back up and maybe a few ounces of water. It took a couple of times for mine to be dry. I had bought a 2018 FX HO this year, wife's ski, and after first ride in calmer water, about 1 1/2 hours for break in, it was totally dry. The second ride, 2-3 foot waves, for about an hour and saw about an ounce or two of water. Wiped it out and it stayed dry until next ride, rough water, where there was an ounce or two again. I need to check the hose clamps but beyond that, I'm not going to worry about it. The VXR leak was different because it would have a pint or better and that was a definite leak that I wanted to find.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post
    ... my flushing fitting. It was leaking. The spring loaded valve was stuck and letting a little water enter when the ski was running...
    I relocated my Yamaha GP1800 factory flush fitting from inside the hull on the mid-wall to outside the hull, under the rear seat.

Now if the flush fitting leaks or even lets go completely with a fast flow, the water will all be outside the hull and in a place I might notice. Connecting and disconnecting the flush hose also no longer dribbles water inside the hull.

I replaced the kink prone (especially at the X or Y fitting) factory hose with a reinforced wall longer water hose. And protected the hose with plastic loom split sleeve.

The relocated flush fitting is where the factory battery vent hose was fitted. I use an AGM battery so no need for a battery vent tube. The vent fitting hole in the upper hull was drilled larger, as was the rear seat grab bar support.

The flange for the flush fitting is trapped between the deck and the black plastic. That allowed enough threads for the cap to fully screw on. White sealant around the fitting base should keep wave splash and rain water out.

I also drilled multiple ~1/8Ē drain holes between most of the plastic webs on the seat support so water would not pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information