Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Changing oil before winter

Hi Folks,

Is it really necessary to change oil prior to winterizing my waverunner? My machine is almost ready for an oil change but I just assume to do it next spring when I change the plugs to get ready for the new season.

Thx.

https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...x&cPath=87_300

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    General consensus is better to store the engine with fresh oil. Used engine oil contains mild acids and other contamination which can corrode the engine while it sits.

I suggest changing the oil filter at same time so there is minimal old oil kept in the engine. I now use the Motorcraft FL400s oil filters. Less expensive than the OEM Denso oil filter and seems to actually be a better oil filter.

3. +1 by:

I'm on the same boat as you and plan on changing in the spring time. I don't see a point to change it now and let the waverunner sit for 6 months.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevette View Post
    ... I don't see a point to change it now and let the waverunner sit for 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    General consensus is better to store the engine with fresh oil. Used engine oil contains mild acids and other contamination which can corrode the engine while it sits.
    Used oil is not the same as fresh oil. That is why it needs to be changed.

The engine is going to sit for the same amount of the either way. Fresh oil will still be good come springtime. Old oil does the engine no favors while it sits.

6. +1 by:

The oil will pick up moisture over the winter time. Never herd of using the Motorcraft filter before. The Yamaha filters rust so fast.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerx886 View Post
    The oil will pick up moisture over the winter time...
    If moisture is entering the engine, that needs to be dealt with. Old oil with added moisture cannot be better than fresh oil with moisture.

Water and oil generally don’t mix unless the engine is running, so condensation into the crankcase should result in water settling to the bottom of the oil pool, correct? Not that there should be much, or any, but if so then it should just sit there, under the oil.

When the engine gets run on the water at speed next spring the engine heat should evaporate the moisture out of the engine.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

I suggest changing the oil filter at same time so there is minimal old oil kept in the engine. I now use the Motorcraft FL400s oil filters. Less expensive than the OEM Denso oil filter and seems to actually be a better oil filter.
    If K447 says change oil it before winter, Im going to change it!!!

Thanks brother!

11. +1 by:

I also went with the replacement of oil before winter

+1
    The right thing to do. Common sense ����

Definitely in agreement with the consensus here (let’s face it; oil and filters are cheap, comparatively) and especially when we recently saw the condition of the oil from the 2nd oil change in our ‘18 VXR, after only 25 hours.

(We did the initial oil and filter change at 10 hours back in June so, it was pretty much coincidence we wound up doing our end-of-season storage change at 35 hours. There were two of us there and we couldn’t believe how dirty the oil was!)

Then, we remembered, one never really extracts “all” the oil from the 1.8 so, we will very DEFINITELY be doing oil (& filter) changes MORE often than just “once a season.”

Right now, VERY happy / impressed with the Mobil-1 #102-A oil filters but, am going to also look at those MotorCraft.

@K447, is “FL400s” “THE” specific filter # for the 1.8 engine or, is that just the “series” #? (Wondering which Motircraft filter # I should put on the next “shopping list” for NA 1.8

Hmmmm, confused now as, this “cross reference chart” for Yamaha OEM oil filter 69J-13440-01-00 “alternative” oil filters lists:

Motorcraft # FL-910S (or 793)

YAMAHA 69J-13440-01-00 - Alternative oil filters

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference....9J-13440-01-00

15. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information