Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    348
    +1
    22

    Stripped engine mount bolt insert in fiberglass hull

    Hi, Can anyone advice me on how to replace the insert which the engine mount bolts onto the fiberglass hull?
    Tried torqueing it to factor specs of 25Nm and spinned off around 16Nm.. Bolt comes out but will not fasten fully to the insert in the hull..
    Thank you!


  2. #2

    Stripped engine mount bolt insert in fiberglass hull

    Quote Originally Posted by jackywacky067 View Post
    Hi, Can anyone advice me on how to replace the insert which the engine mount bolts onto the fiberglass hull?
    Tried torqueing it to factor specs of 25Nm and spinned off around 16Nm.. Bolt comes out but will not fasten fully to the insert in the hull..
    Thank you!
    You mean the insert is spinning in the hull? Sounds like the bolt was too long and bottomed out before coming tight. Try a shorter bolt it may tighten up for you.

  3. #3
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    348
    +1
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintman20 View Post
    You mean the insert is spinning in the hull? Sounds like the bolt was too long and bottomed out before coming tight. Try a shorter bolt it may tighten up for you.
    Its the stock bolt, all other bolts are the same length.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jackywacky067 View Post
    Its the stock bolt, all other bolts are the same length.
    Did it go cross or bind up? If it went flush tight it shouldn’t have happened. Idk man I’d say you’d have a major job to replace that nutsert.

  5. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    348
    +1
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintman20 View Post
    Did it go cross or bind up? If it went flush tight it shouldn’t have happened. Idk man I’d say you’d have a major job to replace that nutsert.
    I tried with a shorter M8 bolt, no luck. The ride came to me with a trashed flywheel. While removing the engine I noticed that the shims have slid off slightly. Realigned engine and noticed that there was no bite on the insert/bolt.. 5 of 6 bolts are in tight and correctly. Made the customer aware. They will take their chances with a loose/missing bolt.. Should hold okay, its not a racing machine. More of a pleasure craft.

  6. #6
    Kmorningstar_rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Port orange, Fla
    Posts
    1,671
    +1
    166
    Go to fastenal get a new stainless nut sert. Drill out old one... use marine-Tex and install new sert

  7. #7
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    348
    +1
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmorningstar_rxp View Post
    Go to fastenal get a new stainless nut sert. Drill out old one... use marine-Tex and install new sert
    Thank you!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    461
    +1
    58
    Good luck. I cut the Fiberglas had a new insert made out of stainless steel then re glassed

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to remove a broken engine mount bolt? Virage TXi FRC hull
    By K447 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-21-2016, 07:24 PM
  2. GP800R engine mount bolts
    By dcg9381 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM
  3. 2000 XLL1200 Engine Mounting bolts
    By kaarona1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
  4. Engine Mounting Bolts
    By kaarona1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 04:29 PM
  5. WTB: GPR Engine mounts X 4 in Miami by Wednesday latest ---
    By BahamasGPR in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •