Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Low Voltage at Fuel Pump

HELP!!

I have a 2008 GTI SE 155. I've been chasing an issue related to loss of power at 3800 rpm.

I pulled the fuel pump and replaced both filters. When I reinstalled it, the pump would not run. I removed the pump assembly and inspected the wiring, but everything looked fine. So, I decided to connect the pump terminals directly to the battery and it spun right up.

Re-installed the pump in the tank and tested the voltage on the pump harness. With the key on, the voltage was only about 12.2 V--compared to 12.8 V if I test from the + harness connector to battery ground.

I pulled the main relay and performed voltage test between Relay Fuse Box B4 and A6. Voltage here was 12.5 V--still less than the 12.8 V found between B4 and Battery Ground.

I disconnected and tested resistance on the DESS post and everything tested less than 1 ohm.

Next, I did the Fuel Pump Harness connectivity test indicated in the Shop Manual. Test resistance between Main Fuse Box A1 and ECM B29. The manual shows that should read 12 ohms. I am only showing 3.5 ohms on this test. I assume that the majority of this 12 ohms would be from the pump itself.

How can I isolate the voltage issue in the Relay Fuse Box?

Does the low resistance reading on my fuel pump indicate a bad pump?

Low Voltage at Fuel Pump

Low resistance could be as a result of a short inside the pump. The voltage would drop due to the direct short to ground . Similar to the voltage drop when the starter motor is engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tintman20 View Post
    Low resistance could be as a result of a short inside the pump. The voltage would drop due to the direct short to ground . Similar to the voltage drop when the starter motor is engaged.
    I agree, but I can't get past the fact that the pump motor was working before I changed the filters and it works now if I connect it directly to the battery. I guess it's possible that the pump has been partially faulted all along, but I would like to also eliminate the voltage problem on the harness before I invest $360 on a new fuel pump.

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=272608

read this thread especially post #22.

You can bypass the OEM fuel pump wiring completely with a relay setup. Your issue is common and easily corrected with the relay Setup in post 22 or by using Riva's relay kit, either setup will work as desired.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=272608

read this thread especially post #22.

You can bypass the OEM fuel pump wiring completely with a relay setup. Your issue is common and easily corrected with the relay Setup in post 22 or by using Riva's relay kit, either setup will work as desired.

Can I buy the RIVA relay kit separately or only with their fuel pump? I did not see that option on their website...

I can probably build relay kit myself, but like having everything pre-packaged.

That looks to be more related to people running high powered pumps. Your N/A engine shouldn’t require that much amperage. It may fix the issue but I believe it’s overkill and eventually the real problem will reappear. Possibly pump failure or other.

That looks to be more related to people running high powered pumps. Your N/A engine shouldn’t require that much amperage. It may fix the issue but I believe it’s overkill and eventually the real problem will reappear. Possibly pump failure or other.
    Shouldn't be necessary on an NA engine, but it does seem like a poor design in that a short in the pump could pull too much current thru the ECM and cause damage.

More than likely, I will need a new pump also, but I think adding a relay like this will be an improvement to the original design.

Shouldn't be necessary on an NA engine, but it does seem like a poor design in that a short in the pump could pull too much current thru the ECM and cause damage.

More than likely, I will need a new pump also, but I think adding a relay like this will be an improvement to the original design.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeJohn View Post
    Can I buy the RIVA relay kit separately or only with their fuel pump? I did not see that option on their website...

I can probably build relay kit myself, but like having everything pre-packaged.
    You can get the relay at any auto parts store with some quality wiring and do it your self much cheaper.

10. +1 by:

Already located the relay on Amazon.

Is the Walbro GSS342 a good replacement for my OEM fuel pump? Definitely more volume that I will ever use, but they seem to holdup.

Also, would this pump fit the housing in my 2008 or will I have to do some mods?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information