+1

Genesis ficht, right direction?

Ended up owning a 2000 Genesis ficht, came with a SeaDoo and 2 place trailer. Wanted the trailer and know SeaDoos inside and out but this thing, well it's getting under my skin.

Owner said it was running great and shut down cold. I've gone far enough to know, no spark, no fuel pump or injectors on crank. Tach doesn't move during crank (but start button will wake up gauge). Compression is good, I know that is totally unrelated to the problem but someone will say check compression

What I found was the cps was open, 200 meg ohms. Found a replacement, 161 ohms. Still nothing. Old cps did have a scare on its face, nothing big but a scare none the less.

I did try the lr bypass without results.
    Next I've done the stator and white wire tests. Stator ohms out on spec for all coils. VAC though is low from the page I read here and so is the white wire..
    White wire was to be over 20v cranking, I get 16 with an excellent battery. Stator was to be 7, 7, 7, 5 and 5. I get 5.1, 5.0, 5.1, 3.2, 3.2

I'm leaning towards magnets? Can't find anything to say the 5vac/3.2vac is probably enough or that 7/5 is absolute minimum etc. Between the numbers being a bit low and the scar on the face of the cps (which maybe is also the cause of it being open) I'm thinking something came loose in there.

I can't imagine the EMM is shot even though it appears common simply because it would seem too coincidental that the cps was also open.

Any input very welcome! I don't want to keep this machine, but it certainly would be much easier to sell running and it is in such nice shape otherwise it would be a shame to let it die.

Thanks!

+1
    You are headed in the right direction with your low AC volts on the stator. There is a good chance that your flywheel has suffered magnet separation. The good news is that on a Genesis the flywheel can be replaced without removing the engine.

Regarding the injector volts, I assume you mean "red/white" wire?

Another telltale is to (carefully, don't blow yourself up!) pour a little gas down each throttle body and then see if it then starts. This would be further confirmation that your only issue is related to the flywheel/stator.

+1
    Thanks for the reply, yes white with red wire. Fuel in tb won't do much, no spark..

Will likely chase into the stator cover later, too many of that other brand to deal with for now

+1
    It should still spark as long as you have at least ~12V on the injector bus (and your lanyard is in). So you may have both an EMM issue and a stator/flywheel issue. I (via Lakeside Tech) can help with your EMM.

+1
    I must have miss read something on some of your articles? My understanding is no spark, no fuel pump and no injectors until the EMM wakes up and it won't do that unless it sees enough voltage from the stator? I have no spark, pump not coming on and tach not showing cranking speed...

+1
    Just some info from my own experience. At one point my genesis would not spark or run the fuel pump. I did the stator test as you mentioned above and the voltage was off a very small amount. Around 1 volt if I remember correctly. I took the flywheel off and found several magnets shattered and a damaged stator as a result. So, at least in my case, there is a very small margin those voltages can be off. In my opinion you definitely should look under the flywheel.

When you pull the flywheel cover off be careful not to lose the small spring and plastic button that's in the hole that the bendix is in. It's no fun if that falls out and rolls down underneath the motor.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I must have miss read something on some of your articles? My understanding is no spark, no fuel pump and no injectors until the EMM wakes up and it won't do that unless it sees enough voltage from the stator? I have no spark, pump not coming on and tach not showing cranking speed...

the emmm does not know the engine is spinning when you are cranking it. that's clearly a problem with the cps or the cps wiring to the emm

pull the new cpsvif the cps has bits of magnet on it.....

the wiring is prone to breakage in that area. the cps is a problem right where the wire enters the housing.

it might have measured up on the bench. now you can dick around with the wiring to see the fault.

i'd measure the cps from the emm side of the big connector if everything seems to be checking out

+1
    Mockingee, thanks, that's the kind of first hand experience that can help a lot! Still where I'm leaning due to the dead and damaged cps.

nmpeter, as mentioned in my original post, I already found the cps to be open and a couple of minor scars on the face of it (which may be the cause of the open as well). Replaced it with a good one and no joy but that's why I was leaning towards the stator, between the chip out of the original cps and the lowish voltage etc.

Thanks guys, will be weeks now before I go back at this thing but I always post the final outcome, hate people that ask a question then never come back to give the final result!

+1
    I'm not claiming to have the knowledge and experience of some of the other guys on GH, in fact I openly state I do not but if the limited experience I do have can be helpful that's great.

By by the way, my CPS has a chip out of it and still works fine.

Thread Information