Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tools needed for flywheel removal?

Are these must have tools the remove the transfer shaft and flywheel or will something else work?

+1
    Have FUN with that transfer shaft

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Have FUN with that transfer shaft
    Is it harder than the freaking coupler?

+1
    Yep

Well someone explain! Does it unscrew from the magneto?

You absolutely need to follow the service manual and use the special tools. Have the engine bolted down. Only use a heat gun to heat the shaft and replace everything except the starter flywheel and clutch when you reassemble......it's a real pita. Best advice use the heat gun for at least 20 minutes or it will never budge because of the Loctite and will still be super tight. 3/4inch 1 meter bar.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Allenor View Post
    You absolutely need to follow the service manual and use the special tools. Have the engine bolted down. Only use a heat gun to heat the shaft and replace everything except the starter flywheel and clutch when you reassemble......it's a real pita. Best advice use the heat gun for at least 20 minutes or it will never budge because of the Loctite and will still be super tight. 3/4inch 1 meter bar.
    Whatever happened to a 6 bolt flange, gee whiz they make things harder than they need to be....

+1
    Like Allenor said above, heat works good, your short shaft has a set screw that needs loosen, then you will need a special tool to unscrew the short shaft from the crankshaft. Once this short shaft is removed, then the flywheel will come off, it has a key way in the flywheel, but other than that the short shaft is what keeps it on the crank. One thing that works very well holding the engine from turning is using the clutch tool from R&D. Locking it up front seemed to work much better than trying to holding it from the rear. I just let the clutch tool lock against the cases using a towel between the cases and tool. The key is leverage, 3 to 5 foot bar works great. I actually had my last one screw off without heat. Having a 2nd person will help for sure.

Thx guys. I ordered the tools today but I didn't order a clutch tool. My luck

Quote Originally Posted by YudLuz2 View Post
    Like Allenor said above, heat works good, your short shaft has a set screw that needs loosen, then you will need a special tool to unscrew the short shaft from the crankshaft. Once this short shaft is removed, then the flywheel will come off, it has a key way in the flywheel, but other than that the short shaft is what keeps it on the crank. One thing that works very well holding the engine from turning is using the clutch tool from R&D. Locking it up front seemed to work much better than trying to holding it from the rear. I just let the clutch tool lock against the cases using a towel between the cases and tool. The key is leverage, 3 to 5 foot bar works great. I actually had my last one screw off without heat. Having a 2nd person will help for sure.
    Where is the set screw, the manual doesnt mention it that I can find?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information