Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1

Bike issue and double pwc trailer

Maybe someone knows a company? We have a heavy duty, double galvanized trailer. The issue is, when we take road trips, we like to take our 2 bicycles. Our SUV is lifted so a rooftop bike rack (which we have tried) will work but we need to take a long a freakin 6ft aluminum ladder, which takes up space and using the ladder is difficult to use when placing and retrieving the bikes, especially if the ground is uneven. The 2nd option which we currently use, is a Yakima rack that straps to the rear cargo door. Unfortunately, this has added a lot of stress to the rear door and now we're facing having to replace the rear door shocks. On top of that, the sheer weight of our 2 mountain bikes has literally bent the Yakima rack.

I would love a solution where we could put them on our pwc trailer between the jack stand and the bow stops (if possible). Or we could replace our jack stand and use the space from the bow stop going up to the ball mount.
    Just wondering if anyone knows a solution?

Thanks!!!

+1
    So you want to carry bikes and PWCs at the same time, correct?

It sounds doable if you have enough room. Please post a couple of pics of your trailer. A pic of the bikes might be helpful, too.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you are willing to upgrade the trailer you can do a lot

+1
    Steve45- I will get some pics for you. K447-is that a converted boat trailer?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by awarrick View Post
    ... K447-is that a converted boat trailer?
    My trailer started out as an aluminum Triton WC2-2 double axle, double PWC trailer.

The photo shown was an interim stage. That configuration traveled several thousand miles in 2017.

The original 3x3 frame structure has now been further augmented with an additional 5x3 aluminum box beam structure under the OEM frame and extends forward. Not only did this provide better support under the 5-bar aluminum decking (which makes it so much easier to move around on the trailer) and the storage box area, the 5x3 beams really stiffened the entire trailer. Rides much better now.

The axles and fenders have been shifted forward about 8 inches to better balance wig the added forward weight. Not shown in the photos is a stand-up Kawasaki that now sits on a third set of bunks between the two trailer boxes.

With the new 5x3 tongue folded at the hinge the modified trailer is about 18 inches longer than original.

+1
    Is that THREE jacks I see on your trailer, K447?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Is that THREE jacks I see on your trailer, K447?
    That was a temporary condition

It now has one Fulton F2 trailer jack on the 5x3 tongue up front, just behind the hinge.

I do like the Fulton F2 trailer jacks. Both the big single wheel and the double wheel versions. Adjustable height for the pivot is also nice.

Keep it lubed

+1
    This is our current trailer. There's a good bit of room between the jack stand and the bow stops. I'm thinking we could flip the spare around so it faces outward. There's a good sized steel beam running down the center. I'm wondering if we could adapt a trailer hitch mount bike rack there? One that can be removed or folded down when not in use. We don't keep the trailer at home, in fact, it's about 30 miles away so it's hard to just eyeball.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180923_100609.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	439861  

+1
    Anything can be fabricated. This does not sound like a very difficult project. I am currently working on a design where there will be a gas grille mount on my extended receiver set up. This is a two fold project where it will make the trailer seem longer thus being able to see it backing up with my F250 superduty and also not having to lug my weber grille to the beach on and off my flat bed.

+1
    It may be possible to move the spare tire much farther back and have it hang below the frame. Yes it is a hassle to get at if you need to use the spare, but it gets the spare tire well away from the front area.

Mount the underhung spare near the axle, just in front or just behind, and it shouldn't cause problems with ground clearance. See my photo for the location of my spare, just nehond the axle. It is mounted with the tire valve facing upwards so I can check pressure and keep it inflated.

If you want even more tongue length you can consider a Fulton tongue hinge. The added length lets you use more of the OEM tongue for mounting stuff, and the trailer is no longer when parked with the tongue folded.
    Quote Originally Posted by awarrick View Post
    This is our current trailer. There's a good bit of room between the jack stand and the bow stops. I'm thinking we could flip the spare around so it faces outward. There's a good sized steel beam running down the center.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information