Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FZR vs GP1800

+1

FZR vs GP1800

So after two or three years, was the GP1800 an improvement over the FZR? Hulls and handling vs top end, which is the better ski? I'm sure that many of you have had both.

+1
    My pretty well modified FZ is very fast and I have always been happy with it, UNTIL my son bought a new GP1800. The first time I rode it with my wife on the back I could not believe how much smoother the ride was in the rough wakeboard boat chopped lake. When I got to ride it alone, i was truly impressed with the acceleration out of the hole and thru the entire range. I have always had to baby my FZ out of the hole. I like my FZ's look, gauges(even though they are pretty much worthless, they look good), shape, overall power but bought a GP because it accelerates much better out of hole, rides much better in rougher water, and has much more potential over my 09 FZ. The GP is running over 77 with ONLY a tune and beats my FZ to 77 by a bit then I am faster.It took $2000 to get my FZ over 75. I know the the newer FZ's have a better pump and improved engine, but I am looking forward to modding the GP with far less work(and dollars) than my FZ took.
    The other thing is it feels kinda like the older GP's did, which I loved. It is also much easier to board from the back since the back platform is close to the water and there is a nice grab handle right there, something my wife appreciates greatly.

+1
    Thanks for the reply, very well written and good info.

FZR vs GP1800

A fz svho Is a different story. I am much faster out of the hole than a stock GP. I think the new GPR will be faster than me out of the hole.A modified GP is way faster than me no matter what year . A GP with a tune only will annihilate my ski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    My pretty well modified FZ is very fast and I have always been happy with it, UNTIL my son bought a new GP1800. The first time I rode it with my wife on the back I could not believe how much smoother the ride was in the rough wakeboard boat chopped lake. When I got to ride it alone, i was truly impressed with the acceleration out of the hole and thru the entire range. I have always had to baby my FZ out of the hole. I like my FZ's look, gauges(even though they are pretty much worthless, they look good), shape, overall power but bought a GP because it accelerates much better out of hole, rides much better in rougher water, and has much more potential over my 09 FZ. The GP is running over 77 with ONLY a tune and beats my FZ to 77 by a bit then I am faster.It took $2000 to get my FZ over 75. I know the the newer FZ's have a better pump and improved engine, but I am looking forward to modding the GP with far less work(and dollars) than my FZ took.
    The other thing is it feels kinda like the older GP's did, which I loved. It is also much easier to board from the back since the back platform is close to the water and there is a nice grab handle right there, something my wife appreciates greatly.
    Yes Sir..Exactly...I have both, an FZR stage2 and a GP1800...GP with a maptuner is the better ski..for me..........the above description is spot on !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    The first time I rode it with my wife on the back I could not believe how much smoother the ride was in the rough wakeboard boat chopped lake.

Interesting, I know some people here with both and they take their FZ instead of GP when it's choppy.

I’ve had both, as much as I love my FZ the GP is great all around. The electric reverse and controls make the ski feel so smooth, as well as it being a little smaller than the FZ making it handle great. As far as chop the GP handles almost as well and as others stated it’s certainly easy to make fast. We all know that the FZ definitely is still better looking lol atleast in most people’s opinion

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    i believe the Fz is a much better looking ski, If you can learn how to drive and hole shot the Fz i think its a better ski,

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Boostman18 View Post
    I’ve had both, as much as I love my FZ the GP is great all around. The electric reverse and controls make the ski feel so smooth, as well as it being a little smaller than the FZ making it handle great. As far as chop the GP handles almost as well and as others stated it’s certainly easy to make fast. We all know that the FZ definitely is still better looking lol atleast in most people’s opinion

I found that the only similarities between the FZ and GP is the SVHO motor. The way they ride are quite different. In cornering the FZ leans into its corners like a motorcycle and the GP stays flat and sticks like a go-kart. You might think that this flat cornering would make it feel like you will be thrown off, but it doesn't just hold on and go.

Now in the chop... I find the GP is awesome in the chop. Better than the fz and even better than my old fx sho, but only with WOT. It is incredible the way that you can stay on top of the waves and just skip in a 4 foot chop. The FZ is also good but I notice the nose will fall just enough that it can throw off the rhythm of the skip. However, I get the crap kicked out on me on the GP at a cruising speed. So when people say that the fz is better in the chop, I have to agree, except for when you are flying. The GP stays stable and flat, the FZ is a little more unpredictable at high speed.

I also think that the FZ is a little better looking. The GP is beautiful but every time I look at it I see a pissed off sumo wrestler.

+1
    I agree, I like my FZS look better. Im not really into the new Yamaha boxy look.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information