Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Understanding What Makes a Good Rough Water Hull Design

“Yeah, that’s all great but how is it in the rough stuff?” came the reply. I had spent nearly an hour walking one of The Watercraft Journal’s readers through the highs and lows, the newfangled features and available accessories for the latest Sea-Doo, addressing every question he could throw at me. It was exhausting. But apparently, all of that didn’t matter. Gathering a little more insight about his riding style, it was easy to tell that he had no interest in racing, little experience in open ocean conditions, and frankly neither the physical ability to weather either. “It’s great for what you’re looking for,” I replied.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com

+1
    Very good article , good job !

3. +1 by:

+1
    Very interesting, explains the difference in general handling when we went from our Seadoo to a Yamaha...very noticable...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    Very good article , good job !
    I agree.

+1
    This is a great tutorial Kevin! More buyers should focus on how the ski will be used but it seems to me the top selection criteria is usually "how reliable is it?". IMO a buyer would be better served by focusing on hull performance because that can be predicted with certainty, unlike the reliability of the specific unit the buyer receives.

As an aside-I've owned several of the hulls you mentioned (used both in the ocean and lakes) and here's my summary:
    -STX-very connected to the water, good comfort, turns well

-GTI-hard to keep the pump hooked up in chop, rough ride, loose turning

-RXP (T3 design)-rails turns, a LOT of drag(slow to respond to power)

-RXT (S3 design)-turns quickly, good ride quality

-ST3 design-I haven't tried but I'm worried about the hunting that you have been talking about

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    ... a buyer would be better served by focusing on hull performance ...
    The hull configuration has a large effect on ride qualities, and the hull shape is also the least modifiable. If the hull design is not suited to the type of water the rider frequents or does not align with the rider expectations there is little that can be done to improve or change the fundamental way it rides. *

When selecting a new-to-you watercraft, choose the hull first. Then consider engine power, upper deck configuration, and convenience features/amenities.

* Aftermarket ride plate and intake grate can make a difference, as can sponsons, but these do not alter the basic hull shape, weight and how these factors interact with the water.

8. +1 by:

+1
    While I will agree to your points, K447, do think the FIRST step is truly admitting to oneself what kind of riding are they truly going to be doing. How many 50-something-year-olds bought an RXP-X 300 because "it was the fastest ski available" from the brand they liked?

That guy I mentioned in the article with the GP1800? He had no place owning that machine. It's like the big fat guy complaining about how hard it is to crawl in and out of his Lamborghini. Guess what, buddy. It wasn't designed for you. But alas, that's the kind of tough honesty that people are too sensitive to hear these days.

No. The final line in the story is the most pertinent. What kind of riding will you be doing most of the time. The next question is where? The Pacific Ocean? Your neighborhood duck pond? Lake Michigan? This question is equally important as the first.

But no. The first question out of everyone's mouth is, "How fast is it?" Ugh. Morons...

+1
    I think we agree.

How does one choose the hull? By understanding what kind of riding they will be doing, in what kinds of water.

And from there, research the available hulls for a match with those conditions and expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    ... the FIRST step is truly admitting to oneself what kind of riding are they truly going to be doing ...

... What kind of riding will you be doing most of the time.

The next question is where? The Pacific Ocean? Your neighborhood duck pond? Lake Michigan? This question is equally important as the first.

+1
    GREAT Read!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    While I will agree to your points, K447, do think the FIRST step is truly admitting to oneself what kind of riding are they truly going to be doing. How many 50-something-year-olds bought an RXP-X 300 because "it was the fastest ski available" from the brand they liked?

But no. The first question out of everyone's mouth is, "How fast is it?" Ugh. Morons...
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, how many Spark buyers thought "I don't need to spend no stinkin' $12,000 to go fast" thinking the $5,000 Spark 90 HP could run with their old 2 smokes?

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information