Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Peak top speed vs Sustained top speed????

I would like some feedback on this question? I have been reading from these guys at watercraft journal that all skis have a peak speed and then a sustained top speed. Now I have been testing ski's for years and stock vs modded. Here is what I know testing with GPS and calibrated radar guns. The VXR stock is suppose to have a top speed of 63 mph. Now I'm being told that 63 mph is its peak speed and then it drops down to 58 mph for a sustained top speed. Well I called out watercraft journal on this because my testing shows that they are not correct when it comes to N/A ski's. There is no way the VXR hits a top speed of 63 mph and then over a long run it drops to 58 mph. If that was the case then the VXR would be doing the same exact speed as a seadoo GTI 155 SE. I have tested 3 different VXR's. Would love to hear from the forum on this and your findings. Also is this the case for SC ski's?? because the N/A skis i'm not seeing this.

Our test results using Police radar Stalker
    2015 VXR radar tested sustained speed of 63.5 mph for 1 mile flat calm conditions/peak speed 63.4 mph at 1/4 mile
    2016 VXR radar tested sustained speed of 63.1 mph for 1 mile flat calm conditions/ peak speed 62.8 mph at 1/4 miile
    2018 VXR radar tested sustained speed of 63.9 mph for 1 mile flat calm conditions/ peak spesd 63.2 mph at 1/4 mile

Test according to Boattest, yamaha and watercraft journal
    2015 VXR- top speed according to boattest.com 66 mph
    2016 VXR - top speed according to watercraft journal 58 mph
    2018 VXR - top speed according to yamaha testing 63 mph

Equipment used: Radar gun Stalker LZ police issued.

+1
    Yeah I’d disagree with them as well. Any VXR should be able to sustain at least 60-62 in the right conditions.

However, why are your peak speeds lower than your sustained? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Because sustained is like average over a mile and peak is where it spiked up a bit?

+1
    I'm not sure why, but thats what the radar gave us. Could be maybe the rider shifted his weight or hit a small wave.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldon2es View Post
    Yeah I’d disagree with them as well. Any VXR should be able to sustain at least 60-62 in the right conditions.

However, why are your peak speeds lower than your sustained? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Because sustained is like average over a mile and peak is where it spiked up a bit?
    I agree with you it should sustain its top speed and not just drop down by 2-3mph in smooth conditions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldon2es View Post

Question is it different with supercharged skis or should they hold their sustained top speed as well?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead74 View Post
    Question is it different with supercharged skis or should they hold their sustained top speed as well?

SC skis usually have a higher peak when they run up to the limiters. They hit them and then pull back a bit to settle down at the sustained top speed.

+1
    Heat soak in a supercharged ski will usually lower sustained top speed as well. That is why so many people upgrade the intercooler to combat the loss of speed when heat soak occurs.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    SC skis usually have a higher peak when they run up to the limiters. They hit them and then pull back a bit to settle down at the sustained top speed.
    Ok so the SC skis drop from their peak speed. Gotcha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemd View Post
    Heat soak in a supercharged ski will usually lower sustained top speed as well. That is why so many people upgrade the intercooler to combat the loss of speed when heat soak occurs.

Thats interesting I did not know that, makes sense that maybe why N/A skis differ from SC skis. Good to know thanks!

+1
    They are always faster running down hill ! lol

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information