Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Water in cylinders, possible causes?

I have a 2014 FX SVHO with Deans stage 2 8600 tune. Had ski out yesterday and didn't notice anything wrong while cruising with wife. Dropped her off on the beach, went to rip and ski would not rev past 7400 rpm. Picked her back up and headed home, ski ran normal once again at cruising speeds, seemingly with no issues. Got home checked hoses-all good. Didn't have time to mess with it last night so today I go to pull the plugs and immediately notice moisture in the plug holes and a white residue on the boots and plugs themselves but mostly on #s 2 & 3. Pull the plugs and they're wet with water hmmm...... Looked into each cylinder and see water, not good. Checked oil, looks good, no obvious signs of water contamination.

I've read some posts of guys actually getting water into the plug holes from rinsing the engine but this seems far fetched to me. I do rinse the entire engine thoroughly after every ride but only after it has cooled for at least a couple of hours and my nozzle is on mist setting. Plus, how could the water leak past the plugs themselves?

Would the engine actually run seemingly normal aside from being down on rpms with water in the cylinders?

If I had a cracked head wouldn't there be water in the oil?

I'm really hoping my rpms being down is just a fouled plug or plugs and the water infiltration is a separate issue somehow related to rinsing the engine.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    MaYbe the intercooler is leaking

+1
    Do you have the kanaflex connected to supercharger

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmike View Post
    Do you have the kanaflex connected to supercharger
    no, custom CAI

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDFZS View Post
    MaYbe the intercooler is leaking
    possible I guess, but how would that explain the water in the plug holes? Have a fizzle with dedicated line, always backflushed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMA HAMA View Post
    no, custom CAI
    I did get water inside motor once from submarining ski... water came in from cold air....
    But u said oil looks fine so water can’t travel threw mandifold into cylinders without mixing in oil....
    Change pulls n c if water is still getting threw n check oil again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktmman View Post
    I did get water inside motor once from submarining ski... water came in from cold air....
    But u said oil looks fine so water can’t travel threw mandifold into cylinders without mixing in oil....
    Change pulls n c if water is still getting threw n check oil again
    yeah ride was pretty mild with wife on the back, no submarining lol. thats the plan, in the mean time just wanted hear peoples suggestions on possible causes

+1
    Water in the fuel?

I had a Kawi Ultra LX that had some water in the fuel tank. Ski ran great when level. When the ski was tilted upward, the water pooled enough by the fuel pump to cause a problem.

Might be the reason why your ski ran better when you rode alone.

+1
    Another suggestion... ride full speed with the seat off. Check for a rusted or broken cooling line clamp, or some other leak in the cooling or exhaust hoses.

Friend has a 2007 FXHO that was getting water in the cylinders. Thought for sure the motor was toast, but compression was good and it ran fine on the trailer. I suggested he ride with the seat off. Sure enough, at full speed a fine mist was shooting out of one of the cooling hoses straight up into the airbox. Problem solved with a new clamp.

Another friend has a 2006 FX140 that was not hitting full RPM. I noticed some salt residue on top of the motor and the air filter was wet. I rode with the seat off and could see a mist shooting up from the tube that connects the exhaust pipe to the water box.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    Another suggestion... ride full speed with the seat off. Check for a rusted or broken cooling line clamp, or some other leak in the cooling or exhaust hoses.

Friend has a 2007 FXHO that was getting water in the cylinders. Thought for sure the motor was toast, but compression was good and it ran fine on the trailer. I suggested he ride with the seat off. Sure enough, at full speed a fine mist was shooting out of one of the cooling hoses straight up into the airbox. Problem solved with a new clamp.

Another friend has a 2006 FX140 that was not hitting full RPM. I noticed some salt residue on top of the motor and the air filter was wet. I rode with the seat off and could see a mist shooting up from the tube that connects the exhaust pipe to the water box.
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a look but these scenarios seem unlikely in my case. I have a custom cai similar to Rivas set up. The air filter is tucked in up front over the gas tank just behind the removable front panel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information