Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gp 1800 in mud. Overheat and cavitate

Out on river with my son yesterday. I was ahead of him and got into shallows. Sucked up mud, looked like chocolate shake coming out of back. I cut engine and pushed off into deeper water. Started fine and couldnít go above idle without heave cavitation. Then in about 5 minutes overheat alarm came on. Killed engine. Son towed me back to dock at 3 mph because he got a stick in his impeller and had severe cavitation. Crappy day on river but not many decent days left here so went out anyways. Got home and pulled pump on sons waverunner and pulled stick. Should be fine. I havenít looked at the GP1800 yet other than looking at pump from back. Impeller and wear ring looked fine. Gonna pull them tonight and also flush really well. Anything I should look for.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How fine are/was the mud particles?

Thinking about the narrow water passages in the intercooler, the exhaust water injection, and the plastic water inlet/screen in the jet pump.

There may also be some smallish water flow holes in the exhaust manifold gasket?

Really fine silt should eventually flush out, but bigger dirt particles might get lodged in a few places?

You can use the factory water flush fitting with strong water pressure to flush the engine and intercooler.

Start engine, then turn water on.
    Flush while monitoring the water side and rear exits, then turn water off.
    Blip throttle a couple of times to clear the waterbox, then turn engine off.

Engine running while flushing of course, but limit the engine run duration to a minute or so at a time to avoid friction stressing the water seals in the jet pump and driveline, which will be spinning without being immersed in water.

It was very silty. When I got off ski to push it I sunk a foot into the silty muddy mess. No rocks or heavy mud.

Is it supposed to smoke at exhaust when running on hose? My VX deluxe doesn’t at all

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinhacker71 View Post
    Is it supposed to smoke at exhaust when running on hose? My VX deluxe doesnít at all
    Not at all

What should I look for now? Any suggestions?

+1
    Sure its smoke and not steam?? Whats it smell like? If oil thats not good, if rubber/plastic id start checking all the exhaust parts. Let us know what ya find and we can go from there

I don’t really notice a smell.

+1
    Yea looks like normal steam to me, pretty normal depending on weather/tempature. You ran it on the hose for a while and it didnt throw the overheat code? If so I'd take it out and ride it once you fix the prop. Go easy on it for a while, make sure both pissers are flowing freely etc. If all it well id say you learned your lesson and it cost ya a couple props!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information