2018 gtx 300 exhaust overheat

So sadly had a bad day out on the water floated over some rocks and gouged the hull pretty good, hours later in the day the exhaust overheated and the check engine light came on less then a mile from the ramp and luckily my buddy was with us and towed us in as slow as possible. I shut the motor down as soon and the loud chime and light came on. Once on land I noticed a small piece of plastic in the top left of the pump, is this the water intake for the exhaust? Would this cause the overheat and should I check for clogs anywhere else?
    It seemed to come out a little when flushed on the hose for 30 seconds. Before I go taking stuff apart I just want to make sure I am on the correct track.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6023.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	439667  

+1
    yes, that is the intake for water cooling the IC and exhaust

This is what was stuck against the cooling port, I noticed what looks to be several small holes almost a screen like that the plastic was stuck against.....Should I still be concerned with overheating now? Or anything else I should check

Quote Originally Posted by 18gtxltd300 View Post

This is what was stuck against the cooling port, I noticed what looks to be several small holes almost a screen like that the plastic was stuck against.....Should I still be concerned with overheating now? Or anything else I should check
    Itís just the exhaust that is cooled by that port.
    The concern would be manifold damage and melted muffler and exhaust temp sensor.
    The intercooler is cooled by that port as well but would not be damaged by it being blocked

I had the back deck off and looked around. I didn’t see anything out of place, is there something exact to look for? Nothing appeared to be damaged and when I flushed the ski no check engine light was lit. I am new to skis but fairly mechanically inclined. These are just all new machines to me. Thank you.
    Last edited by 18gtxltd300; 09-18-2018 at 08:33 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    blockage of the exhaust cooling water intake is a common issue. typically the plastic is far bigger and will eventually be expelled. If there are no leaks and you don't get a check engine on the hose for a couple of minutes I'd wager to say you are ready to back it into the water on the trailer, start it up and have one last look at it before heading out. Not too far..an hour later come in and check under the seat...all good?..so are you.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    blockage of the exhaust cooling water intake is a common issue. typically the plastic is far bigger and will eventually be expelled. If there are no leaks and you don't get a check engine on the hose for a couple of minutes I'd wager to say you are ready to back it into the water on the trailer, start it up and have one last look at it before heading out. Not too far..an hour later come in and check under the seat...all good?..so are you.
    I took the ski out yesterday and was cruising between 60 and floored for about 30minutes. No warning lights, no beeps, no smells. We beached the ski and took off the seat no water no burning smell. Hopefully everything is all good now.

Quote Originally Posted by 18gtxltd300 View Post
    So sadly had a bad day out on the water floated over some rocks and gouged the hull pretty good, hours later in the day the exhaust overheated and the check engine light came on less then a mile from the ramp and luckily my buddy was with us and towed us in as slow as possible. I shut the motor down as soon and the loud chime and light came on. Once on land I noticed a small piece of plastic in the top left of the pump, is this the water intake for the exhaust? Would this cause the overheat and should I check for clogs anywhere else?
    It seemed to come out a little when flushed on the hose for 30 seconds. Before I go taking stuff apart I just want to make sure I am on the correct track.

Thank you
    Those two tubes siphon water out of the hull. The water inlet is a plastic plug with small holes in it, which is located on the side wall inside the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
    Those two tubes siphon water out of the hull. The water inlet is a plastic plug with small holes in it, which is located on the side wall inside the pump.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1164.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	439834
    This is what heís referring to. This is the cooling intake.

Thread Information